Help Repeal Vehicle Safety Inspections in Utah

Chevycrew

I think the safety encourages people to wait on issues that nee fixed, until they fail... Ie: I can get another year out of these tires since they just passed inspection...

Just can the system, and make the people responsible for their own junk!

D

Deleted member 12904

How many people drive for 6 months on a broken windshield because they're afraid if they replace it it will be cracked right before the inspection? I would be very happy to see them go away. I personally did safety inspection and emissions testing for 4 years and it is a completely worthless service in my opinion. Just like any other test most people know the areas that they have a problem find a way to cheat or get out of it anyway. I never 1 time had a customer come in and not pass for something like tires and say ohh thank you for pointing that out I was unaware that my tires were bald. Seriously my driver's window doesn't roll down or my driver's door latch does not work? thank you for letting me know I don't drive this car everyday I would've never found out my window doesn't work.

If we want to make the streets safer then put more time in effort into verifying every driver on the road has proper insurance. again just my opinion but uninsured motorist are a bigger risk for us then the guy who does not have two speeds of windshield wipers or a non working third brake light on is truck shell. even as an 18 year old punk when I did these inspections I thought they were bullshit.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Seven

Parts in "[]" are being modified. The only fee changes I see are changing motorcycle registration fees from $42.50 to $44 and light vehicles from $41 to $42.50. I see nothing about this $200 fee for vehicles older than 10 years.

The change would be in the uniform fee that is assessed. You pay a registration fee and an age based uniform fee when you register your car every year. He stated it wasn't in the bill passing, but was in the works if the bill passed.

Seven

Who was he talking to? I don't buy it.

unsure who exactly. But he does deal with a lot of politicians within his job duties. I am not saying it is true, however a couple of things make me wonder. First being where do they make up the lost revenues? granted that I am unsure what the percentages of new versus old cars and how that would effect the bottom line. Next is that by doing this it would likely force a change in what people buy. One of the benfits of owning a older car is the lower fees associated with the yearly registration. it would provide a small push for people to buy newer cars. Many people would argue that newer cars are generally safer and therefore it makes up for repealing the law.

I don't take anyones word on this stuff, however what I know of his job duties, I considered it a possibility.

stimmie

unsure who exactly. But he does deal with a lot of politicians within his job duties. I am not saying it is true, however a couple of things make me wonder. First being where do they make up the lost revenues? granted that I am unsure what the percentages of new versus old cars and how that would effect the bottom line. Next is that by doing this it would likely force a change in what people buy. One of the benfits of owning a older car is the lower fees associated with the yearly registration. it would provide a small push for people to buy newer cars. Many people would argue that newer cars are generally safer and therefore it makes up for repealing the law.

I don't take anyones word on this stuff, however what I know of his job duties, I considered it a possibility.

What lost revenues? The $2 raise in registration costs would make up for the loss on the state cost of the safety certificate. As it stands now, my company pays the state $2 for every inspection certificate I do. The MOST I can charge the customer is $17. So the station gets $15 of that and the state gets $2. By shifting that $2 to registration, you would be increasing the state revenue because currently for the first 7-8 years of a vehicles life you only do an inspection every other year. $2 every registration would be theoretically double what they are getting now since you have to register yearly regardless if you had to do the safety or not. I totally agree that they should dump the program, but still allow officers to cite based on blatantly obvious unsafe vehicles.

Now for the emissions garbage... That's the biggest rip off out there... You pay someone basically to tell you your check engine light isn't on. Cars since 1996 with OBD II are running an emission test the entire time they are running. I'm just glad I don't live in one of those counties where it's required. :) Oh, someone posted about a maximum amount allowed to be charged for emissions. When I was doing them in Utah County the county had a minimum, but no maximum. As long as your price was clearly posted in 1-1/2" letters on a sign. You could always charge less than your price of course, but if you had it clearly posted you could legally charge that posted price. Even if it were $15,000.00 :)

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
There will be no loss of revenue, on the contrary, enforcement will move from technicians to LEO so instead of a technician flunking you for your cracked tail light, a cop will just give you a ticket. The windshield on my Jeep has been cracked from pillar to pillar since 1/09 and the washers had not worked since 3/08, I never had a problem passing safety. Lets be honest about how it is now, if you know a guy, you're passing... it's total BS.

Chevycrew

On the emissions, no check engine light = a pass, so have the pcm programmed to turn off rear O2 sensors, egr, air injection, hollow the cats, etc. It still passes!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Master Muffler in Orem used to have a front brake rotor from a bronco that was worn through the rotor surface so that the cooling fins between the brake surfaces was all that was left. The note said, "my bronco pulls to the left when I brake, I know the brakes are good because it passed safety inspection last month." I think they give stupid, ahhm, ignorant people a false sense of security. How many times have you had a safety inspection done that they didn't pull ALL the tires off? I agree that most people have their maint done at Jiffy lube or where ever. Those places will tell you when you need new parts even when you could make it for a while on what you have. They want the revenue. Safety inspections are not required to have safe vehicles. Making sure people drive while they are driving instead of texting would make more of a difference than any other single factor.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I've lived in states without inspection and this is the second one with. I don't feel any safer regardless of inspections. I'm a much bigger fan of making sure those on the road belong on the road, either insurance or a real driver's licenses. At least in Hawaii, with your safety inspection, your headlights got adjusted.

I disagree with the statement that OBD2 cars run their own emissions testing, plenty of OBD2 cars without the CEL on won't pass the sniffer.

I'm not in the majority of those changing cars every 3.5 years either. My newest vehicles are 9 and 10 years old, and I bought them new. My 95 ZJ I bought 5.5 years ago and will keep it till its not cost effective to repair. I've traded houses more frequently than cars...

Caleb

unsure who exactly. But he does deal with a lot of politicians within his job duties.

The fact that he deals with politicians regularly would make me believe him less :) Those guys (politicians and their cohorts) talk just so that they can tell themselves they are important.

I change vehicles often enough that the "old car" tax wouldn't affect me, it'd actually benefit me it sounds like so I could care less if they change it :D

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I've lived in states without inspection and this is the second one with. I don't feel any safer regardless of inspections. I'm a much bigger fan of making sure those on the road belong on the road, either insurance or a real driver's licenses. At least in Hawaii, with your safety inspection, your headlights got adjusted.

I disagree with the statement that OBD2 cars run their own emissions testing, plenty of OBD2 cars without the CEL on won't pass the sniffer.

I'm not in the majority of those changing cars every 3.5 years either. My newest vehicles are 9 and 10 years old, and I bought them new. My 95 ZJ I bought 5.5 years ago and will keep it till its not cost effective to repair. I've traded houses more frequently than cars...

There hasn't been a sniffer for OBDII vehicles for a year or so.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i want emissions testing to go away more than safety. emissions testing is a total joke.

if getting rid of safety inspection makes LEO's more prone to pull us over for mud flaps and fender flares i'll be irritated but i appreciate the idea of one less law

Seven

The fact that he deals with politicians regularly would make me believe him less :) Those guys (politicians and their cohorts) talk just so that they can tell themselves they are important.

I change vehicles often enough that the "old car" tax wouldn't affect me, it'd actually benefit me it sounds like so I could care less if they change it :D

This is why I am not really that firm on what I am saying. However in the past this guy has about a 75% chance of saying something to me that comes to pass whether it be in one form or another. I would love to have safety gone, however I am just saying that if it does I will be on the watchout for them to mess with it another way.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Of course I'm friendly and courteous to the officer and don't give them a reason to give me a ticket. :spork:

Key. I've been pulled over a multitude of times and rarely do I get tickets. But I am always courteous. Yes sir, no sir. Yes I was speeding. Thank you sir. Have a nice day.
If they are pulling you over, its a good chance they have a reason. No LEO wants the paperwork if they can avoid it.

sixstringsteve

it's amazing how many people get pulled over for tail lights and it ends up leading to DUIs, stolen vehicles, etc.