Help with an FSJ

P

pokeyYJ

O.K. heres my problem, I am working on what I believe is a 84-86 Grand Wagoneer, it has the 360 and I think that it has a 727 torqflite, the problem lies in the case, which I think is a NP 228 or NP 229. It hasn't been put in Four wheel drive for over a year. The vacuum motor was seized so I pulled the Mode selector rod apart and got it into 4-Hi, it will go into both Hi and Lo once I got the mode selector to 4wd. Does anybody have any experience with these transfer cases? Can you still get the vacuum motor, the Jeep dealer says they are dicountinued? I have heard that a NP 205 will bolt right in, any thoughts? Any help would be great!!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
If you have a TF 727, a Dana 300 will bolt right up;)

If you want to replace tha piece of Sheet that you have now go to Pick and Pull.

P

pokeyYJ

What are the specs on a Dana 300? What is the low range? How about shift linkage?

grinch

inner city redneck
cant help with the stats but I run my stock 300 and love it. If your worried about gear reduction in low range the 205 isnt for you. That gear box ratio is way to high and there are no gear reduction kits im aware of. The 300 has plenty of after market gears and a lower stock gear than a 205 by far. I belive the scout dana 20 also fits behind the TF 727. Itleast the scout I just bought for parts had it set up that way.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
The Dana 300 runs 2.64:1 gears. And is a Stout little case. It's gear driven.
You can run 4:1 gears and upgrand the output shaft to a 30 splne.

These T Cases can be found for any where between $100.00--$300.00.

Linkage is sweet, Twin Stick:D

P

pokeyYJ

Just been doing some research, looks like the Spicer model 20 came as original equipment during the 70's on the Wagoneer.

demon jeep

Banned
Do this. This is what I did with my j-4000 I put in a 401 then a th400 with a dana 20 to that it all came one big chunk. you can bolt the 400 right up to the 360 and just find on with a tranfercase to it. Then you cut a hole in the floor and put on sum hubs and WOLA you are ready

P

pokeyYJ

Is the Turbo 400 have the capability to be hooked up to column shift, and where can you get one for cheap. the model 20 case, what did they originally come in.

toy73scout

A free scout I'll take it
the dana 20's and 300 off scouts have a difrent bolt pattern then the 727 that you have but from what I hear you can take the tale off a doge 727 and put it on a scout 727 and thus I think that you can do this in revers

tuck

spud crawler
if you want to find answers faster, you might check www.ifsja.org it's all fsj's....

If you want a 360/th400/d20 combo you will want to find a th400 from any FSJ built later than '71 with an AMC V8, then get the tailshaft and adapter from a th400/dana 20 combo from a '72 and earlier FSJ...... does that make any sense? Probably not.

but if I were you, I would probably keep the 727 and get a dana 300, especially if it will just bolt up... the 300 has a lower low-range than the dana 20 and they are about the same in strength.. both have their weakness in the output shaft...

I have the 360/th400/d20 in my '72 Waggy, it's factory. But I'm planning on upgrading to a np205 down the road.