Help with Auburn Ected not disengaging?!?

Xploderkid97

Hi all, I've got an auburn Ected locker with what sounds like a common problem of it not disengaging. Only difference is that it sounds like most have problems with the D30 locker not disengaging but this is in TJ D44.

I was up snow wheeling a couple weeks ago and it didnt disengage. Left it till this weekend...I feel like I have exhausted all my research options(what I could search on the web). I have tried figure 8's, turns, forward back, pavement, dirt.

Still nothing, I changed oil(royal purple), it came out fairly dirty but not enough to scare me. Went out for new attempts of different "tips" to disengage still Nothing!

I have contacted Auburn but missed their office hours, my concern is that I'm headed to St. George(Trailering down) tomorrow and would like to have my locker working! at least unlocked and use the LSD.

Anyone have any tips advice or direction for me to go would be greatly appreciated!?! Thanks again!

Last edited:

Xploderkid97

Well I figured I would give an update to my situation as I found it fairly difficult finding a straight answer on what to do after trying all basic techniques (I.e figure 8's, forward backwards, lift one side, etc) After talking to Auburn the first thing they said for me to check at this point was to open the diff and check the plate between the electro magnet and the diff. Apparently what can happen is if the electro magnet doesnt get full voltage it will pull this plate crooked which then makes it so it doesnt slide back to loosen clutch packs and binds up leaving the locker "locked."

After pulling the diff i confirmed that i had this issue, i grabbed some brass and lightly tapped this plate back flush with the differential. Put everything back together and was concerned when it didnt pop out initially but a drive to provo and then pulling out of a discount tire parking lot in orem, POP and it is free! I am scared to lock it again for now.

While it was apart i tested several different things, i was not getting full voltage at the source but took a 12V straight to the electro magnet and it was still pulling this plate crooked. I am concerned that my electro magnet is broken. Ill try and post a video of what i am talking about. It has been fairly difficult getting through at auburn but i will continue to try and keep updated for those who may run into this problem in the future.

Hi Xploderkid97, I have just developed the same problem on my ECTED lockers in a 2000 TJ with D44s. Please, did you get this problem sorted and, if so, what was the fix?