Help with Axles

I have a 1980 GMC K1500. I don't know what axles it has... I do know that I need lockers!!! I don't want to weld the rear because its just a mild build for that I will still drive on the street. I'm also working on a tight budget so I'd like to keep what I have for now before going to a different axle... Could anyone help me out with some specs on the stock axles and what locker to use front and rear? Thanks.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm thinking 1980 is too late for a 12 bolt rear, which would mean 10 bolts front and rear.

I'd shy away from locking that rear axle, since it's fairly failure-prone to begin with. Plus, full-float 14 bolts (from a 3/4 or 1 ton) are a dime a dozen and a bolt-in swap.....

Rear 12 bolt until '82ish. Decent ring gear strength. Count the bolts on the diff cover and that will answer your question. The front will be a 10 bolt.

Lunchbox lockers for both, 33's or 35's, keep in mind that you are running 1/2 ton axles and go have fun. Especially don't let it get bouncing or spinning or hard throttle if the front tires are turned.

I successfully ran that same front axle for almost 10 years with a locker and 38's. I also successfully blew up that 12 bolt rear axle twice with a 396, 33's and a heavy right foot (loved to do burnouts AFTER I'd get it rolling and clutch fully engaged).

A good friend of mine stuck lockrights front and rear in his stock '87 blazer axles 15 years ago, along with 33's (later 35's) and takes it hunting and moderate Moabing.

Keep your eyes open for the 14bolt that Carl mentioned, along with 8 lug rotors and hubs for the front, and swap them in when you can. Get 16" rims and tires...that way you won't have to switch tires when you put in the rear axle.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Count the number of bolts on the differential cover to make sure. That will tell you what you have. I have gotten many good deals on lockright type lockers on ebay(brand new ones) and they have done really well.

Hey thanks everyone... I appreciate all the help. I did forget to mention more specs on the truck it already has about 6-8" of lift with 35's, a 350 and manual trans... I do plan on getting bigger axles eventually. But the luck I've had with previous builds, I'd like to see if my dad will wreck it for me before i put to much money into it!!!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm thinking 1980 is too late for a 12 bolt rear, which would mean 10 bolts front and rear.

I'd shy away from locking that rear axle, since it's fairly failure-prone to begin with. Plus, full-float 14 bolts (from a 3/4 or 1 ton) are a dime a dozen and a bolt-in swap.....

Carl said it first. He speaks the truth.

hoxviii

Ford-natic
All that info is correct IF nothing has been swapped. I bought a 1986 K1500 that the guy swore had never been touched, but it had a D44 out front. You couldn't tell it;d been swapped in, so it had definitely had a couple years to collect road grime and blend in.

Best bet is to follow that axle ID guide just to make sure of what you do have before spending any money on it.

Justin

All that info is correct IF nothing has been swapped. I bought a 1986 K1500 that the guy swore had never been touched, but it had a D44 out front. You couldn't tell it;d been swapped in, so it had definitely had a couple years to collect road grime and blend in.

Best bet is to follow that axle ID guide just to make sure of what you do have before spending any money on it.

Justin

Thanks for that insight! I did consider that at first too. But after tearing into the truck that was thrown out... Considering the owner before me had managed to put 6" lift springs under it but put stock shocks back in... Welded the nuts on the u-bolts (that were too short) because he could only get a 1/4 turn... and couldn't fork out the money for those oh so pricey motor mounts and spring bushings... I really don't think he swapped axles... But I will still keep the thought in mind. Thanks.

hoxviii

Ford-natic
Well, the thing about a swap is it's cheaper to swap in a junkyard axle than it is to rebuild an axle- especially when you're installing a lift anyway.

Justin