Help with insurance on OHV Jeep

JaredMD

I changed my 1993 Jeep Wrangler to an OHV after completing the build because there is no way it would pass a safety inspection. So the state issued a new vin and title.

I now cannot find an insurance company that will cover my OHV, because it has a auto engine.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of an insurance company that would cover this?

Think I could get my automotive VIN back?

2INSANE

Try my agent. Dale Roberts
(801) 458-7004
(801) 782-6100

Tell him Chris the truck driver sent ya

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Im going to go over to the DMV tomorrow to see about switching it back to an automotive VIN

Going from OHV back to street legal takes a lot of work, not impossible, but a lot of work. You have to take them pictures to show that it will pass safety inspection. And have an officer sign all the paperwork after they do an inspection on it. Not impossible because I've done it, but it took about 5 trips to the DMV and some help from the right people.

JaredMD

why do you want to insure it anyway?
home owners sould cover and bodly injury?

uhhh in case I am driving down the road/trail and hit somthing or someone. I really dont want to be paying someone for injury for the rest of my life.........seems like a no-brainer

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Good question, I've never registered anything ohv, just left it's street plates on it(I've usually had a guy that will pass it because he knows I don't drive it on the road) and I have regular auto insurance

I would really like to do my new truck more by the book

Last edited:

Caleb

*LIABILITY*

Please insure your OHV, so when you run me over, I'm not screwed. Thanks for playing.

USAA insures our TJ
No kidding! It's amazing anyone would ever consider not having insurance on any OHVs. I always keep full coverage on all my toys. State Farm insured my Full tube buggy when I had it without any questions.

JaredMD

No kidding! It's amazing anyone would ever consider not having insurance on any OHVs. I always keep full coverage on all my toys. State Farm insured my Full tube buggy when I had it without any questions.

was your buggy registered as a OHV? Need to get this taken care of before Thursday.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Yes it was, infact I wrote up a how-to article on registering your buggy as an OHV. My understanding is things have changed since I wrote it though.

Pretty easy. Went in to the DMV with Title and picture of vehicle on hand. Wrote a paragraph describing why it is no longer street legal. They gave me a new VIN sticker, told me where to put it. I called Orem PD (non emergency ;) ), cop was there in 20 minutes, signed off on the VIN inspection. Took it to the DMV next morning, paid $48 and I got my stickers.

2INSANE

Ok man I called my Agent and kinda explained your situation to him and he thinks he can help!! Give him a call if you don't have this problem fixed yet:)
Dale Roberts
(801) 458-7004
(801) 782-6100

Tell him Chris the truck driver sent ya