Help with website development

4thefamily

I have used only Macromedia suite to design the few websites that I have done, that was at school and now that I need to do one on my own, I realize that I can't afford the macromedia stuff.

What I need help with: What have you guys used?

Is Frontpage as big of a POS as I hear?

Has anyone bought the educ. software and used it to design a commercial site? Will I get caught if I do this?

I am worried that using the easy web page developer from the hosting co.(Powweb) will not be professional looking enough?

Sorry,lot of question, LOOKING for ANSWERS.

Thanks

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Yes, Frontpage is as big of a POS as you've heard.

There used to be some very impressive open source tools. I bet if you looked around, you could find something that would work out.

Caleb

Word Pad, Text editor, etc work great :D

Personally I use Dreamweaver to do the main layout stuff but use code to tweak it to my liking, my biggest problem is I am the most un-creative bastard around so I dont ever get many cool ideas :D

Front page is a POS, it puts a bunch of lame code in thats totally not needed. Well, if you were on a mac there is a ton of open source freeware out there, there is some out there for PC too but not nearly as much, let me look through my notes from back when I was in class and see what open source programs (if any) were mentioned for the PC...

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
The new frontpage is not nearly as bad with generating crazy code on your behalf. If you have it, use it, but if you are going to spend money, I would look at dream weaver as well.

notepad works if you know html

MS word can be used to lay out a page, add photos, then save as html (talk about adding some crazy code, but it works)

If you are looking for some free editor try Crimson http://www.crimsoneditor.com/ same as the notepad concept only key words, errors, etc will be color coded for you to help you out..

4thefamily

Supergper said:
Word Pad, Text editor, etc work great :D

Personally I use Dreamweaver to do the main layout stuff but use code to tweak it to my liking, my biggest problem is I am the most un-creative bastard around so I dont ever get many cool ideas :D

Did you purchase Dreamweaver? is it an educational version? My wife is a Teacher so I could have her buy it, but is there a way for them(Macromedia) to find out you designed a commercial site with ed. software. I can't think of a way they could find this out but I am not as "GEEKY" as some.

MattL

Not that I havent done it in the past... but if your going to talk about downloading free software that you normally have to pay for imho, best do it in a pm to help eliminate any liablity from a judgemental passerbyer linked to this site. Of course this is my opinion.

With that said dream weaver from what I have seen is pretty dang good.

Caleb

miatre said:
Not that I havent done it in the past... but if your going to talk about downloading free software that you normally have to pay for imho, best do it in a pm to help eliminate any liablity from a judgemental passerbyer linked to this site. Of course this is my opinion.

With that said dream weaver from what I have seen is pretty dang good.

yep...

my4thjeep

If you can't afford dreamweaver try html kit its free and works great. You can also do more advanced programming than just simple html. There are tons of free 3rd party add ons There are also add ons for ftp or you can download another free programPutty for ftp telnet or SSH.

If you are looking for cheap reliable hosting with out pop ups or ads try DotEasy Its $25 a year including domain name registration.

4thefamily

my4thjeep said:
If you can't afford dreamweaver try html kit its free and works great. You can also do more advanced programming than just simple html. There are tons of free 3rd party add ons There are also add ons for ftp or you can download another free programPutty for ftp telnet or SSH.

If you are looking for cheap reliable hosting with out pop ups or ads try DotEasy Its $25 a year including domain name registration.

Thanks for the info it is appreciated.