Helper spring or Air bags?

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab with the 5.9l that I am using to tow my 26 foot bumper pull camper. The truck pulls the trailer fine but with it fully loaded for a weekend in the mountains the truck squats quite a bit, and is limiting ground clearance on the truck and trailer. Just last summer alone i ripped two jacks off the trailer from being so low. I am planning on doing a spring over on the trailer but that won't fix the squat. I know i need a 3/4 ton but that just isn't in the budget right now. So what is the best option helper springs or Air bags? You can get helper springs with a 2000 pound or 3500 capacity. For pretty cheap or just do air bags? I am just worried about the bags leaking and always having to have a place to pump them up once the truck is loaded. What have some of you guys used or recommend? Thanks!

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
Do you have any experience with the helper springs Dan? I am leaning towards air bags but i like the price of helper springs more.

notajeep

Just me
I have never used or installed anything other than add a leafs... But from what I have seen of the helpers, looks like they would be fine once dialed in. But that is what I love about the air bags... always adjustable.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Loved my bags. Pumped them up when I needed them. If I didn't need them I didn't pump them. I was going to get an in cab controller and compressor. I never had a leak, even over multiple weeks. I set my bags an inch low so when I pumped them up it gave me about an inch lift.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
The 1500 didn't come withal helper spring maybe on the new ones. So firestone ride rite seams to be the best kit then? Not planning on getting a controller and compressor if i go this route.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
What web site is that Dan and his do i get this coupon code? Sorry i am on my phone so it will only load the picture and not the site.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've ridden in a 2008 2500 Chevy before and after with air bags that are always aired up. The ride was a serious improvement even un-loaded with the bags aired up to the minimum, loaded was a huge improvement. On the newer ones GM trucks you have to remove your bumpstops, the airbag replaces the bumpstop so you have to keep them aired up. Not sure if that would be true on yours though.

I also helped install them and the install was really straight forward on the Ride-rite kit.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
So I haven't seen much interest in my truck so I am thinking of just putting bags on it and continue to tow with it. I have a couple questions about what bags to get. suspensionconnection is having a sale, they seem to be the best price so I will be getting a kit from them. they have two kits I am looking at firestone 5000 lbs with shipping and tax they would come to $326.31 that is after the coupon code. http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2286d.html

Next is Air Lift 2000 lbs with the coupon they will come to $248.16 they have free shipping plus a $50 mail-in rebate. After the rebate they will come to $198.16. http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/59551-ram-1500-air-springs.html

Here is where i need some help from people that have bags or know about them. I am towing a camper that weights about 7 thousand pounds fully loaded, I am using a equalizer hitch while towing to handle the weight. Is it worth the extra $128 (with rebate) to get the 5000 lbs bags or will the 2000 lbs do the job?

I wont be getting a compresor I will just air them up at home before I leave. Are these kits good, is one better then the other?
thanks.