Here it is.... just about finished.....

RockRoach

Well I'm just about finished with the toyota axle swap... now all I have to do is put some locked and loaded 3rd members in! I cruised it down the street for the first time today and it doesn't vibrate nearly as bad as I thought it would :cool: I'm way excited to get it on the trails! Her'es a poser shot....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks pretty good! The Toy axles under a Sammi seem like a good balance of width & strenght.

What T-Case gear ratio are you running? Have you figured out your crawl ratio with the 5.71's?

RockRoach

To figure the final crawl ration you multiply the transfer case X diffs X transmission 1st gear... right?? Well, the transfer case has 4:1, the diffs will have 5.71:1 and I don't know what the stock samurai transmission 1st gear is... :confused:

Greg

Admin
Actually, its 1st Gear X T-Case Ratio X Gear Ratio, in that order.

I'd bet first is somewhere around 4.0 to 1, so it would be:

4 x 4 x 5.71 = 91 to 1

Pretty respectable! :D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Greg said:
Actually, its 1st Gear X T-Case Ratio X Gear Ratio, in that order.

I'd bet first is somewhere around 4.0 to 1, so it would be:

4 x 4 x 5.71 = 91 to 1

Pretty respectable! :D

You do know that it does not matter what order don't you Greg? :)

Greg

Admin
bobdog said:
You do know that it does not matter what order don't you Greg? :)

I always hated math.....I just thought that it made sense to go front to back! ;)

BTW, the Sami first gear ratio is 3.652...

3.652 x 4 x 5.71 = 83 to 1 Still, not bad.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
I always hated math.....I just thought that it made sense to go front to back! ;)

BTW, the Sami first gear ratio is 3.652...

3.652 x 4 x 5.71 = 83 to 1 Still, not bad.
IMO, that will suck for a 4 cylinder.

Greg

Admin
Hickey said:
IMO, that will suck for a 4 cylinder.

But it's twice as good as stock... and, the thing weighs nearly nothing. 108 to 1 in the Toyota was almost all I'd ever need & that was with a 4 cyl pushing it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Greg said:
But it's twice as good as stock... and, the thing weighs nearly nothing. 108 to 1 in the Toyota was almost all I'd ever need & that was with a 4 cyl pushing it.
how much bigger is a Toy 4 popper compared to a Zuk?

RockRoach

Well I took it out wheeling for the first time with the new axles (still open w/ 4.10's) & the new paint job :D Here's a couple pictures, and one picture of my buddy in his yj...

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
just curious... What did you end up doing with the rear driveshaft? Are you running a CV and are you getting any vibrations? do you have p/s? what did you end up doing for steering?

RockRoach

For the rear driveshaft I used a front toyota CV driveshaft.... I had it shortened by about 6 inches and I also had the ring that keeps the driveshaft centered on the flange machined a little bit bigger. The vibrations aren't bad at all. I can't feel any vibrations but when I look at my rearview mirror it is vibrating a little bit while accelerating. The samurai had Toyota power steering when I bought it. I used a toyota tie-rod, and I sleeved it for strength. For the drag-link I used the old draglink and I used a jeep balljoint instead of whatever was on it (the jeep balljoint was longer so it accounted for the wider axle). And for the steering arm I used one of these... 2 stock toyota arms, one is inverted and a gusset is welded in for strength. It's working well so far.

Last edited:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
saw you on your way back from the little moab direction on sunday. When hickey and I were going to shoot golf balls. Looks good going down the road.