Here's motivation for your letter's to the editor.

P

pokeyYJ

This is from today (Sunday Aug, 17) this is a direct quote. I think that this would be a good letter to respond to and maybe get our point of view out in the public eye.

No hypocrisy

"Stephen Nielson, in his Aug. 13 Forum letter, is obviosly unable to discern the meaning of the word "environmentalists." As the "environmental" part of the word suggests, it refers to anyone who is interested in protecting the natural world. They believe that it may be vital to the human race to keep nature around for awhile, say, until we figure out how to replace our own oxygen, or an obscure plant yields a cure for cancer.

The big difference between hiking and off-highway vehicles is not that one is "elite" or "politically correct" but that walking through natural lands does not crush vegetation and cause erosion, disrupt the whole natural area with an ungodly noise, or pose a threat to the safety of not only the people involved, but the wildlife and, in some cases, other "recreationists." If an environmentalist simply wants to protect wild lands from the very things off-highway vehicles cause, tell me, where is the hypocrisy in that?

Pacifica Sommers
Salt Lake City

Whew!, I plan on writing to the Tribune and stating a rebutal that what we do is "Stay on existing trails, have a minimal impact of the evironment, and share the trails with other users."

Please write the Tribune and make a point that we are responsible users, and that we are a disturbed by people that recklessly abuse the land, as the next guy.

But, if I may make a suggestion, please keep the insults to a minimum. I think that it would look bad if we came off as a bunch of uneducated Rednecks that don't know how to hold a civil debate.

Thanx
Sean

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yep, that's SRN.

He wrote the letter & got a call about it being published. His original thread about letterwriting was lost when RME went down.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Is that our Stephen Neilson she is referring to? SRN?

What a hippie she it... I AM an ENVIRONMENTALIST... bring it....
Yep, thats me! ;-) Thats in response to my 6th letter to the editor this year. If I can get that many letter's publish, then you guys should be able to as well!

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by SAMI
who exactly does one write to?

Straight out of the Tribune....

Phone # (801) 257-8888

Tribune fax (801) 257-8525

E-mail: letter@sltrib.com (Please send text only, attachments will not be opened)

Mail: Public Forum, The Salt Lake Tribune, P.O. Box 867, Salt Lake City, Utah 84110

Letter Guidelines: The Tribune welcomes letters of up to 250 words on topics of general interest. Letters must include full name, home address and a day and evening phone numbers. Only the name and city of residence are published. Letters may be edited for length, grammar and accuracy. Due to volume, not all submissions are published.