hey flat bed guys?

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
I am going to be buying miketheboarders pick up this weekend, and i want to get it looking good. i am thinking about building a flat bed versus buying a replacement bed out of a junk yard, and I am wondering what you guys think about a flat bed after having it for a while versus the regular bed.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I loved my flat more than anything. Seriously, I love them. I wish I could put one on the new truck. they are so useful.

ricsrx

when i am driving it on the street, i wish i had a regular bed, but when im off road im glad its a flat bed.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
X2 on goose's flat bed. IMO off road there's nothing better. There is so much you can add on to a flat bed. But I've not gone that route because I use mine for a DD (well sort of) and love having a bed I can just throw junk in and not worry about it...as much:)

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
X2 on goose's flat bed. IMO off road there's nothing better. There is so much you can add on to a flat bed. But I've not gone that route because I use mine for a DD (well sort of) and love having a bed I can just throw junk in and not worry about it...as much:)

yeah that is what i am worried about, not being able to really use it as a truck as easily, i guess it all comes down to design

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
yeah that is what i am worried about, not being able to really use it as a truck as easily, i guess it all comes down to design

I've seen some flaties with an 8-10" rail around them.:cool:

It can serve as a tiedown point as well as keeping a bag of dog food or a box of firewood contained without tiedowns:)!

Could make the railings removable easily enough & the nice thing about a flatbed is the "design what you need/want feature"!:cool:

ricsrx

do you have any pics of yours?

I have more in my build thead

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

tony moniz

i threw together a simple flat bed on my truck, just to hold a spare and jack. i have been searching for some bed ideas and tink i found a winner.

100_0681.jpg

thats the old bed
attachment.php

this is the new design

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
thanks for the compliments guys!
for me the best thing about building a tube bed is that mine is tailored to my wants & needs. & the sky is the limit!
you choose what you want out of a bed & go for it.
I still use my rig to do alot of camping so I definately wanted side rails & I built in a detachable tailgate as well.
other things that were on my list when building it:
tool boxes & storage
jack mount
spare drive line mount
spare shaft mount
gas tank
spot for cooler
rear suspension winch mount
light mounting
winch reciever mount
I also left room for bigger tires (you never know?)

just tyring to give you Ideas of things to consider.
& once the bed is done you never have to do body work onit again, just a little touch up paint here & there.

ricsrx

Do you ever get pulled over for not having the liscence plate on the back with a light? I imagine the cops would be all over that one:p

Belive it or not the South Jordan cops never pulled me over for the plate, but I couldnt get it to pass the saftey inspection with it in the back window, so its mounted on the back but still no light on it.