Hey Toyota freaks...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I got this little pickup, with a 20R in it, and it emits quite a bit of black smoke. I rebuilt the carb.. still smokes just as bad. Has new plugs cap and wires too. Any guesses?

JeeperG

I am assuming it is blowing smoke out the exhaust. But Black smoke? is the fuel new? and is the new carb rebiuld have the correct adjustments?

JeeperG

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
mbryson said:
I'd bet it's running rich. Change the jets?
Why would they have been changed in the first place? When I gas it, it plumes black smoke. Rebuilding the carb (which needed it) seemed to produced no change. Adjusting Fuel/air screw doesn't change much.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
Why would they have been changed in the first place? When I gas it, it plumes black smoke. Rebuilding the carb (which needed it) seemed to produced no change. Adjusting Fuel/air screw doesn't change much.

Forgive me for being 'non-Toyota', but similar things happen to old Quadrajets. The actual body wears out near the throttle bores and lets raw fuel drip into the venturi causing a rich condition that is totally uncontrollable. The solution for QJ is to drill out the offending throttle shaft area and replace it with a bronze bushing.

The Toy carbs may be the same?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
mbryson said:
Forgive me for being 'non-Toyota', but similar things happen to old Quadrajets. The actual body wears out near the throttle bores and lets raw fuel drip into the venturi causing a rich condition that is totally uncontrollable. The solution for QJ is to drill out the offending throttle shaft area and replace it with a bronze bushing.

The Toy carbs may be the same?
Don't know. But this truck ain't worth that much thought.

JeeperG

Back in my old chevy days I actually had a Quadrajunk not Quadrajet.

How new is the fuel? tried running any kind of additive to existing fuel?

JeeperG

yotaman

Let It Snow!!!!!!
I bet something is leaking causing this to happen. When I roled my truck it smoked for a couple of days then went away cause I think I burned everything that leaked in out, but sound like it just keeps leaking.