Heya! new here

GAR

Thought I'd introduce myself. Been around for a while but haven't officially joined the forum. My wife and I just moved back to Utah (from MI, went to BYU) living in the Alpine/Highland area. Actually super close to AF canyon so can't wait for the trails to open up there. Anyway, built a '82 Toyota for general off-road hooligan-ing. Wanted something to run semi-difficult trails and still drive everyday and be a good Expedition vehicle. Bought this guy in '08 and have been working on it ever since.We'd like to get to know some cool people and go on some fun trips. We went up to the north side of salt lake last weekend. Had a fun time at the spiral jetty (wife is an artist) and west out to Kelton and then north. Wanted to go farther but we were alone and didn't plan on overnighting. fun stuff. I love exploring, adventure, mechanical stuff, and cool old junk.here are some pics. I'll let you fill in the details. L1010026.jpgL1010034.jpgL1010769.JPGL1010836.jpgL1020041.JPGL1020048.jpgL1020057.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you look close, the rod ends are not maxed out, the inserts are angled as well. As long as the tie-rod keeps shape it's GTG. But, I've never been a fan of bends in steering links.

Welcome! Looks like a fun rig!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Yeah I noticed they weren't maxed out and how the inserts were canted. just seems like straight and simple would work as well.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Welcome to RME!

It that a Ford 2.3 turbo under the hood? Looks like you've put a lot of time into the truck, I bet it's a blast to drive on and off pavement!

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Welcome on behalf of RME and the U4WDA.
Be sure to read all the instructions in "Introductions & using the Forum".

U4WDA believes the four wheeling community is best served by:
1. Education thru the use of classes, pamphlets, and films to teach responsible conservation.
2. Use Auto Dealerships and suppliers for the distribution of information.
3. Support Utah Counties in obtaining Quiet Claims to roads within their jurisdiction.
4. Stays informed and work closely with all Government Agencies and local law enforcement.
5. Where practical uses peer pressure to keep OHV use within the law.
6. Inform local agencies and law enforcement of illegal OHV use.

We promote the following: BRC/UFWDA: National legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
USA-All:- Local legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
U4WDA: On the ground actions. Service projects, education, club training, broadcasting the needs of Usa-All, UFWDA & BRC to its member clubs. Require clubs to be members of Usa-All, UFWDA & BRC, tie it into dues.
Member Clubs: Rides, education, hats, jackets, newsletters, raffles, etc. Require membership in U4WDA
Individuals: Join a club and promote responsible use amongst fellow travelers.
BRC:- National legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
Usa-All:- Local legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
U4WDA: On the ground actions. Service projects, education, club training, broadcasting the needs of Usa-All & BRC to its member clubs. Require clubs to be members of Usa-All & BRC, tie it into dues.
Member Clubs: Rides, education, hats, jackets, newsletters, raffles, etc. Require membership in U4WDA
Individuals: Join a club and promote responsible use amongst fellow travelers.
http://delalbright.com/index2.html

http://www.sharetrails.org/recreation-toolkit

http://www.nohvcc.org/education/education.asp
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.usaall.org

GAR

Welcome to RME!

It that a Ford 2.3 turbo under the hood? Looks like you've put a lot of time into the truck, I bet it's a blast to drive on and off pavement!

Nope, It's a VW 1.9TDI. Works really good. get's around 28-30 mpg and has decent amount of power, ton's compared to the 22r. It drives great. It's my DD and I don't mind it at all. I need to do some re-valving as it's pretty stiff, even with soft springs. I'm waiting to get air bumps before that though.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Nope, It's a VW 1.9TDI. Works really good. get's around 28-30 mpg and has decent amount of power, ton's compared to the 22r. It drives great. It's my DD and I don't mind it at all. I need to do some re-valving as it's pretty stiff, even with soft springs. I'm waiting to get air bumps before that though.

Ohhh, I knew that valve cover looked familiar, I couldn't quite place it though!

My daily driver is a TDI Jetta with almost 250k on it... I really hope you stick around, I want to hear and see this thing one of these days! Does the TDI have enough power to turn big tires at freeway speeds? Did the gearing work out OK? I've wanted to swap a TDI engine into a 4x4, always thought a Toyota would be too heavy... apparently not!

What mods have you made to the engine? Looks like the exhaust manifold is a custom piece.

I'm going to have a lot of questions, hope you don't mind... :freak:

GAR

Ohhh, I knew that valve cover looked familiar, I couldn't quite place it though!

My daily driver is a TDI Jetta with almost 250k on it... I really hope you stick around, I want to hear and see this thing one of these days! Does the TDI have enough power to turn big tires at freeway speeds? Did the gearing work out OK? I've wanted to swap a TDI engine into a 4x4, always thought a Toyota would be too heavy... apparently not!

What mods have you made to the engine? Looks like the exhaust manifold is a custom piece.

I'm going to have a lot of questions, hope you don't mind... :freak:

Not at all, I had lots of help with this project so I don't mind sharing. My motor came out of a 2004 jetta auto. I ran the it completely stock for a while. It worked ok. Definitely had enough power for highway speeds. Going up steep long grades would slow it down a little but was manageable. I am only running 32" A/T tires so not sure how it would be with 35's. EGT's were a bit of an issue before especially fully loaded and hills. I would mostly have to slow down because they would start creeping up to 1,400F.

I lost a serpentine belt once and shreds of it got in the timing belt and jumped a bunch of teeth. Didn't notice that it crashed, reset everything and drove from MI to Utah and barely made back to MI. It was making the worst noises ever so knew something was up. It cracked the lifter buckets and shredded the cam. When I got home there were holes through the lifter buckets and 1/4" gap between cam lobe and lifter. There was enough damage that I decided to buy a complete new head. While I had it apart I freshened the bottom end with forged H-beam rods, arp hardware, seals, bearings,etc. I upgraded the turbo with one from a T4 van, custom manifold, reworked intake, bigger intercooler, injectors and new tune. I've been running a modest tune, only boosting to #24. I have one for #30 but it's not really necessary. I'm really happy with it now. EGt's stay pretty low, never going over 1,200F even up steep grades at 70mph. It doesn't slow down. Only down side was the bigger turbo has more lag. Below 2k rpm not much happens.

It is a bit noisy too. At 70mph my wife and I have to talk loudly to have a conversation. I've done sound insulation but didn't help a whole lot. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

I have over 20k miles on the swap and 10k on the new motor. Besides a few oil leaks, it has been very reliable. I smoked a clutch early on and replaced it with a heavy duty one from marlin and it seams to holding up.

I have tons of info, diagrams, cad models. Let me know if you're serious. Not sure of the total bill, but it was pricey. With diesel prices the way they are, I'm not sure it's totally worth it. I plan on driving it for a long time so it was worth it.

GAR

Oh, forgot to mention, my truck's name is Pedro hence the avatar. One of the first things I noticed when I bought it was 'Pedro' written on the engine. My buddy and I thought it was funny so it's stuck.

jallen9

that's cool, man. i always wanted to put a VW TDI engine in a suzuki. I had a 94 pickup, but i sold it because it was too rusty. I liked it.