Hi Lift Jack Question

PolarXJ

HO-P
I'm in the market to purchase a hi lift jack. Of course there is the name brand Hi Lift jack, but is there another brand that is better? And with the Hi Lift jack, which is better, the all cast or steel. I've found some opinions saying the cast is better, why? Can someone please enlighten me.
Thanks

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Real thing is the way to go. You can get parts for them, and they work better. I have had the cheap ones drop on the first click....not fun....

I like the all cast ones, I have seen the stamped bottom plates bend....

I still own and use my Gradfather's high lift, 40+ years old.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Another vote for the cast one. Also, if you can fit it in your rig, go for the longer (60") one, I have the 48" and often wish it was a little longer. From what I've seen, Sportsman's Warehouse has the best deals on either length.

Last edited:

Caleb

I too say go for the real thing...I own two high lifts jacks, both are cast...but as mentioned, I have seen the non cast ones bend the base plate, also at my old shop they used to buy the el cheapo knock-offs like they were going out of style and they always had issues with them, for every five you could find one that would hold the weight :ugh: the others would just fall like rckcrlr said...

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
rckcrlr said:
I still own and use my Gradfather's high lift, 40+ years old.

me too.......... my dad used to harass my grandpa all the time about that jack, but since i started wheelin, i realize my old grandpa was one smart dude........ i love that old jack and its like mentioned 40+ years old

but i had to buy the 60" becuase a spring over and 37's about max's the 48" out on the driveway

oh ps, get the cast one

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Ahhhh, the Hi- Lift, aka The Widowmaker. I have a nice scar above my eye reminding me of that. ;) Make sure you lubricate the thing regularily, and be careful when lowering. I love my Hi-Lift :D

adrnjnky

I have a Ram on 38.5 " tires and TJ on 40" inch tires and I can tell you I just bought another 60" since I got tired of taking my first 60 out of the truck every time I was going wheeling in the TJ. Hi Lift can't be beat has saved me ##'s of times in snow mudd and also as a com along before I got my warn. It is worth it price in what you will save in wrecker bills or harrasment from buddies on the trail.

reddog

I have yhe smaller one cast, that thing is worth it's weight in gold. i love it it has saved me many times. go cast, get the real thing, oil it often and buy a spare repair kit trust me with that set up you can't go wrong you will save time money and heartache in the future.
Reddog