HI Magnesium Runflats? To Stay or Go?

Tallz

I have a set of Hummer H1 8 bolt beadlocks and mounted some SS IROKS on. I left the magnesium runflats in them thinking they can only help. Ive read some articles here about the PVC runflats and the rubber runflats but nothing about the magnesium ones. Are they good thing to have? Like better than not having them? I figure I will leave them in until I swap tires and then buy PVC funflats. Is there anything I should watch out for running the magnesium? Any problems you have come accross or heard about?

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have a set of Hummer H1 8 bolt beadlocks and mounted some SS IROKS on. I left the magnesium runflats in them thinking they can only help. Ive read some articles here about the PVC runflats and the rubber runflats but nothing about the magnesium ones. Are they good thing to have? Like better than not having them? I figure I will leave them in until I swap tires and then buy PVC funflats. Is there anything I should watch out for running the magnesium? Any problems you have come accross or heard about?

I think I'd run them, but I'd cut the tallness out of them and just use the beadlock part.

I've run the PVC and the rubber type (in a Hutchinson) and I think I like the rubber the best, the PVC next and then the magnesium. I'd bet the mag is lighter which would be my grumble against any of the two piece wheel/beadlock combos (the weight is significant)?

Last edited:

Tallz

Now that I think about it, the runflat acts as the other part of the beadlock, correct? I guess you really cant run the wheel with out it. They will have to do for now.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Now that I think about it, the runflat acts as the other part of the beadlock, correct? I guess you really cant run the wheel with out it. They will have to do for now.

Check out PBB (www.pirate4x4.com). There was a NUMBER of threads on there about cutting the magnesium. It looked to me like a bandsaw would be the way to go and to just cut the run flat portion of the beadlock off.

Unichev

The reason to cut the run flat portion of the Magnesium pieces is to prevent them from pinching the sidewall. When Aired down the tire can move laterally and the sidewall will get pinched by the runflat and a rock killing the tire. I used a bandsaw on mine. Any Machine shop should be able to do it for $30-$40.

Attachments

• 49.jpgjpg.JPG
    49.jpgjpg.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 5