Jeep Hickey’s 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This used to be a boat. Now it will be my daily driver for a while.

1995 Wrangler YJ. 4.0 and 5 speed. 147k miles, with a new motor and new AX15 from Novak in the last few years. 2.5” RE lift springs. Huge boner bar.

IMG_6411.jpeg

First stop on the way home is a given. Need hydration for new Jeep love to flourish.

IMG_6413.jpeg
I quickly removed the tow bar. We have a cool Jeep Dolly for such things.

IMG_6420.jpeg
Next up is this spare tire hanger and yuge hitch.
IMG_6427.jpeg
Yep. Tossed em.
IMG_6429.jpeg
IMG_6425.jpegIMG_6426.jpeg
The interior is mint. Straight up 1995. Factory radio. There’s a matching Tuffy box with a newer radio… possibly the first ever with Bluetooth.
IMG_6428.jpeg

Next up is the boner bar. I might not get that removed tonight.

IMG_6430.jpeg

The axles have both been changed out. The front is from an XJ, so high pinion and no vacuum disconnect. The rear axle is a Scout 44 with redrilled axle flanges. Both have lunchbox lockers. The rear locker will be swapped out for spider gears until I can afford a selectable. It’s a bit aggressive for daily driving.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Jealous!!
100%
Prickey already knows this but for everyone else: this was my uncle’s Jeep. He’s the one that ruined my life and got me into Jeeping 21 years ago. He has a big YJ that we built back then and he got this little guy like 12-15 years ago I’d guess. It’s a cool little Jeep. Buuuut like I was telling dickey… if I knew he wanted to sell it, it would be in my driveway and my wife would be mad. So this is for the best 🤣

JeeperG

What do you need? The cable panel?
They have those plastic things that hold the end of the cable on the slider, well they break. I have a second one I can probably make one good one, wonder if someone is printing that part by now? Or is there another way to fix it? Haven't messed with it for awhile.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
They have those plastic things that hold the end of the cable on the slider, well they break. I have a second one I can probably make one good one, wonder if someone is printing that part by now? Or is there another way to fix it? Haven't messed with it for awhile.

I may have a bonus one? I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
My very first experience with a locker was in my 82 CJ5. We installed a lunchbox locker in a long night pulling the diff and replacing the spider gears. It was an eye opening ride home with the popping and jerking around the corners. I learned really fast on snowy roads, in 2WD sideways is very similar wheelbase on a CJ5 as straight. If there was a hint of slick, I had to be in 4WD or there was no hope of keeping that thing going straight down the road.

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
I'll have to keep an eye on this build, I have a Lunchbox in my D30 and a Grizzly in my 8.8 in my YJ The grizzly is way smoother on road. If I were to start over again I'd probably toss an ARB or Ox up front

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'll have to keep an eye on this build, I have a Lunchbox in my D30 and a Grizzly in my 8.8 in my YJ The grizzly is way smoother on road. If I were to start over again I'd probably toss an ARB or Ox up front
I’ve sourced some spider gears to swap out for the rear lunchbox. If I wasn’t planning to daily this, I’d keep the lunch box.

New ball joints are on order since I’m about to have one fall out. I was surprised at how expensive ball joints are for these axles as compared to JK stuff. I’m going with these:

IMG_6620.png

That’s for all 4.