High Clearance steering options for TJs??

Caleb

What options are there for high clearance steering on the TJs? I know of the Teraflex kit and a bracket from Blue Torch Fab? Any others?

Ben

Creasey
Im not sure if this is what your looking for its the rockkrawler x-factor steering its sweet i love it. I have had it on my tj for about a year and a half. I have had no problems with it so far exept a lose jam nut which happens with any jam. Thought i would throw it out but it sound like your looking for a high steer setup.

Here is a link with some info about it http://www.creaseyoffroad.com/rockkrawler.html

Attachments

• xfactor_steering.jpg
    xfactor_steering.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 13

Caleb

Im not sure if this is what your looking for its the rockkrawler x-factor steering its sweet i love it. I have had it on my tj for about a year and a half. I have had no problems with it so far exept a lose jam nut which happens with any jam. Thought i would throw it out but it sound like your looking for a high steer setup.

Here is a link with some info about it http://www.creaseyoffroad.com/rockkrawler.html

I'm curious to know how this helps bumpsteer at all? Your drag link is still at a serious angle which is one of the main causes for bumpsteer. The only thing I can see that that kit accomplishes is it gives you a solid tie rod instead of the "y" that's there from the factory.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'm curious to know how this helps bumpsteer at all? Your drag link is still at a serious angle which is one of the main causes for bumpsteer. The only thing I can see that that kit accomplishes is it gives you a solid tie rod instead of the "y" that's there from the factory.

I agree.. I would also be very hard pressed to put ANYTHING Rockcrawler on my rig...
...And with that in mind, you can source stock steering components to do just that. Like the YJ for example.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Toys by Troy has a kick butt system... It comes with EVERYTHING you need. Knuckles, tie rods, 1 ton TRE's, drag link, HD track bar and brackets (both frame and axle). ..It's a true kit.

http://www.toysbytroy.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=96

I have the Tera system on my rig and hate it. The tie rods are junk. I bought it because it was nearly new and for $300 I couldn't see where I'd go wrong. With that said, the tie rods (85 Blazer I believe) and passenger knuckle are nice - just the tie rods are junk. So if you go this route, pick up the knuckle and then make the rest yourself. You will also have to worry about sway bar mounts and relocating your track bar.

On another note, I'll be selling my front and rear D44's here pretty soon and will be a direct bolt in for a TJ (with a truss in the rear). :D

1993yj

Yeah, but most of those options won't work on a TJ (I don't know what the difference is) the M.O.R.E. kit, the JB4x4 kit, the OTT Kit, etc are all only for YJs or CJs.

That thread is the exact reason I finally bought the Tera knuckle. I didn't pay the $325 Tera wanted for it, i went through a vendor of theirs and saved a significant amount of $. I also got the knuckle only, as I am capable of fabbing the tie-rod and drag-link myself. If I had a TJ, rather than a SOA YJ, the Tera knuckle would have been my choice hands down. Easier to flip the tie-rod to the top of the knuckle to gain more clearance. When I do it, I will have to run about 1" blocks to move the springs up and out of the way. My front end already sits about 1" lower than the rear though, and I rub the tops of my fenders, so I am not too worried about 1" blocks, although running blocks in any wheeling configuration, especially on the front, is not my favorite idea in the world.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That thread is the exact reason I finally bought the Tera knuckle. I didn't pay the $325 Tera wanted for it, i went through a vendor of theirs and saved a significant amount of $. I also got the knuckle only, as I am capable of fabbing the tie-rod and drag-link myself. If I had a TJ, rather than a SOA YJ, the Tera knuckle would have been my choice hands down. Easier to flip the tie-rod to the top of the knuckle to gain more clearance. When I do it, I will have to run about 1" blocks to move the springs up and out of the way. My front end already sits about 1" lower than the rear though, and I rub the tops of my fenders, so I am not too worried about 1" blocks, although running blocks in any wheeling configuration, especially on the front, is not my favorite idea in the world.

If I had it to do over again, this would be my method as well. Get the knuckle and then pick up your own 1 ton TRE's and make your own tie rods. Like he said, you can flip both the tie rod and drag link on this knuckle to give you more configurations on where you want them to be. Stock TJ style, you'll need to run the drag link and tie rod on the bottom for clearance/bump steer issues. But if you modify other parts you can easily flip them to gain rock clearance.

The only bad thing about the Tera knuckle is it's cost.. ;)