High pinion d44 in rear axle, good or bad idea?

Too Far

parts is parts
I have been working on retubing a ford hp 44 for passenger drop for use in my crawler. I have been tossing around the idea of building another one for the rear. My concern is with the the ring and pinion. Not sure if it is up to being used in the rear. I have run a regular 44 in the rear for a long while and have had decent luck with it, I have twisted a couple of shafts, but never broke the gear. I am interested in anywone who has had experience with a hp rear axle.
Thanks, Chad

rondo

rondo
I used to wheel in a Colorado club and the pres. there had built his own HP dana 44 rear on a CJ with fiberglass tub. pretty light set up on 35s and not too hard of wheeling. needless to say it didn't last.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think it will be just fine while going in reverse.

forward it might hold up if the rig is super light and you are easy on the throttle. I saw a guy in Moab once that had one in the back of his samurai buggy and it held up just fine. His rig weighed 17 lbs and had 16 horse power though.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had a HP 44 in the rear of my CJ5 for a while. My pinion nut was always backing out. I did love the driveline angle though.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
ring gear not strong enough running on the coast side.. if you have to have a high pinion maybe run a currie high nine, still not strong enough in my opinion depending on wieght of rig and size of tire.

UFAB

I got several D60 HP housings ready for a rear conversion. Unit bearing cups with any choice of bolt pattern for a full float style axle. Any width rear D60 HP housing with welded bearing cups starting at $750

UPNO4

Addicted
Good decision to not do it I have rebuilt a lot of HP44 rears and they never held up just to much running on the Coast side of the gear even on 33's