highway speeds in a 4cyl yj.

i have a 4 cyl. with 35s and stock axles.... and find that flat ground it still has no power, down hill it gains some speed but up hill it lugs down. (also has 4:11 gears). my opinion, after a year like this, axles, gearing and motor are going bye bye lol since it is not low enough geared for off road and not enough horse power to pull the big tires. and the axles i havent been happy with, just not heavy enough. will be getting a 350 installed, heavier axles, changing to auto tranny, and 205 transfer case. and will prob. move to 36s tsl/xs .... and 5:38 gears (but will be off road vehicle only). :)

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
The Dana 30 in the YJ is high pinion, but they all have the center disconnect. While I never broke mine I had friends that needed to replace the center axle a couple of times. I did fairly hard trails and never broke a front axle with 35s. The 2.5L is easy on parts, even with the tera 4:1 t-case gears.

Good idea getting rid of the spool. I had a mini spool in my 8.8 and hated it around town.

your right, high pinion 30. that makes me feel a little better about 4.88's and 35's. worked well in my cherokee. but it had a 4.0 in it.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i have a 4 cyl. with 35s and stock axles.... and find that flat ground it still has no power, down hill it gains some speed but up hill it lugs down. (also has 4:11 gears). my opinion, after a year like this, axles, gearing and motor are going bye bye lol since it is not low enough geared for off road and not enough horse power to pull the big tires. and the axles i havent been happy with, just not heavy enough. will be getting a 350 installed, heavier axles, changing to auto tranny, and 205 transfer case. and will prob. move to 36s tsl/xs .... and 5:38 gears (but will be off road vehicle only). :)

i tried the offroad only thing. i really want to avoid that this time around.