Hiking the narrows...advice

Caleb

We're going to hiking the narrows mid June, this will be my wife's first packing trip and my first in many years. What gear will be must haves and what is nice to have. I have a nice bag for me, tent, and stove. What shoes should I be considering? I've seen the La Sportiva Xplorers recommended. We'll both need packs, which ones would you experienced guys recommend? We've got a couple other over night (maybe two night) hikes planned so I'd like to get some nice gear. Suggestions?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Are you doing it top to bottom? Spending the night, or one day?

Take boots with GREAT ankle support, but boots that you don't mind destroying. The rocks are mossy and you damn near roll your ankle many times. Being in water so long your boots will probably fall apart eventually. I had good boots and the Narrows killed them.

Caleb

Top to bottom spending the night.

Footwear is definitely one of my concerns as I know how crucial that can be to enjoying the hike or being completely miserable.

Caleb

Not that I was planning to, but what's the story with sticking your hands under the rocks? (There's got to be a story to that) :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
When I did it, we hiked it top to bottom in a day and it was pretty brutal. Long day and just after Noon we realized we weren't 1/2 way thru and really had to pick up the pace. One guy in our group ended up twisting his ankle jumping off a 5' rock and just had to grin & bear it the rest of the way out. I do remember seeing some of the campgrounds in there and they looked neat.

It would be hard hauling a loaded back pack with a bag, pad, etc... you're best off going light as possible. A good dry bag, roll top backpack would be best and it'll float in the parts where you'll be swimming. Bring an extra pair of clothes that you can change into to and dry out and warm up at the end of the day.

A couple hiking poles would be a good idea to help stabilize yourselves with a backpack on the slippery rocks. I had a Camelback HAWG that I stuffed a dry bag in for food, camera, etc and for a day trip it was the perfect size.

I had a digital camera, but also took a waterproof disposable and used that the most to take pics. The quality wasn't perfect, but at least I didn't have to worry about ruining it.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
That was Blue John.

I Like hiking the Narrows or similar routes with a shoe that will drain water, I have a pair of trial runners that have awesome traction, are very light and have a lot of mesh. I find that the traction helps with stability that would otherwise cause ankle injury. I would recommend going as light as possible, as ultra light as you can. Be prepared to swim, store anything that cant get wet in dry bags, those canyons change every year and I have come down when there were extended lengths where I couldn't touch the bottom of the river and others where it never passed my calf.

Caleb

Thanks guys. After I thought about it, I was guessing the hand under a rock comment was in reference to 127 Hours BUT I didn't think that was the Narrows. :) Noted, carry tools to cut off my arm :D

Equipment: Since I love getting gear, I'm using this as a good excuse to get some new stuff. So far, I'm looking at the Osprey Exos 48 for a pack. This pack is 2929 cubic inches. Is that large enough, too big? I'm buying double of everything since my wife also needs gear, would the same size suffice for her or should I look at a smaller pack for her? (Osprey Exos 38). I've read multiple things that say the same thing about the shoes, no GoreTex and wear something that drains well. How do you pack using dry bags? Do you carry them packed inside your bag or do you get a larger one that can be used to put your entire pack in when needed? The dry bags while hiking is a new thing to me (obviously) :D I'm trying to go as light as possible on gear, putting everything in smaller dry bags seems like it would add a lot of weight. How about trekking poles? Are the Carbon Fiber poles worth the extra? My wife came across a set at Costco (of all places :D) that were collapsible carbon fiber for $30 a set. The weight on them is lighter than even nice aluminum ones. The reviews we've found are also all positive. For $30, worth trying?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I have the Osprey Atmos 65 that I use for work on the RR. I live out of this backpack literally half of my life, and I couldn't be happier with the way it has held up. I usually have it packed to about 60 lbs, and I've been using it for nearly 2 years now, and it's still like new.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I usually get a hard case that seals for phone and gps, neither one works in the canyons much but you never know. I get a small dry bag for inside my pack for meds and such, other then that I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack and tie it off (thats from the guide to ultra light backpacking) it works well, just don't count on it for prolonged submersion's. I go to every discount site that sells old gear, not used but old models I find all my stuff for less and its just as good but it looks like the gear Steve had last year.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I recommend doing it in one day so you don't have to carry a heavy pack. :D And I second the comfortable shoes and 2 hiking poles.

Caleb

I'm going as a "guest" on someone else's permit. I'll also have my wife with me so the top to bottom in a day won't work :D However, I've got everything but my clothes, sleeping pad, and food for a day and my pack is currently just a smidgen over 14lbs (224.6 oz). That includes a full on two person tent (not just a "shelter") and a chair (Helinox Ground Chair :D). I expect (and this may be too optimistic) that adding those last few items I'll still be under 20lbs. I've got the following items accounted for so far (all weights are in ounces and are actual as weighed on my postal scale):

Backpack (Osprey Exos 48) 42
Chair (Helinox Ground Chair) 23.3
Mess kit (Snow Peak Titanium Cookware) 7.2
Bowl (Sea to Summit X Bowl) 2.9
Utensils (Sea To Summit Alpha Light Utensils) 1.3
Stove (Vargo Titanium) 3.8
Fuel (Jetboil) 12.8
Blanket (Therm-A-Rest Large Tech Blanket) 29.4
Tent (MSR Skinny Too) 71.9
Trekking Poles (Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber poles) 16.3
Filter (Katadyn Hiker Pro) 13.7

Tell me if I'm overlooking something (I'm sure I am :D).

sixstringsteve

I've also heard the la sportivas are the best shoes for that hike. Did you already buy the katadyn? If not, check out the sawyer mini water filter. It's only 2 oz. That saves you 3/4 lb. Do you have neoprene socks yet? If not, I'd highly recommend them.

I really want to do that hike from top to bottom, I'm more than a little jealous.

Last edited:

Caleb

I have already bought the Katadyn but I plan to buy the sawyer mini as well. That will more than likely replace the katadyn for this hike.