Hiking the narrows...advice

Caleb

I'm pretty excited about them. I've always unzipped my bag and used it as a blanket, so I was pumped to see they actually have blankets these days :D

n1v3kt

I've always done it in two days because I like to take my time and enjoy the views. DEFINITELY take poles. Honestly, an old ski pole will suffice. Depending on the CFS level, you will want something to lean against as you cross the current as well as feel out the terrain ahead of you in the water. For boots, just make sure you've got boots/socks that will dry quickly because towards the end of day one you'll be in water pretty much constantly and you'll want it to dry over night. Last time I went I just took my solomon trail running shoes and they worked great, but, I think it would be wise to use something with plenty of ankle support too.

Caleb

I'm finding that the shoes I think would work best (appear to have good support, but look like they would drain well) are all trail running shoes. So it's good to hear and that goes along with what you're saying. For socks, I bought a couple pairs of SealSkinz so I'm hoping those will do the job. I'm planning to have a pair for each day.

n1v3kt

Good call. I dont know anything about sealskinz, but you dont want to haul around wet socks in your pack. I usually dual layer with a polypropylene inner sock. I had a gander at your list, looks good. Dont forget lighting, it gets dark earlier than you'd think being in there.

Tonkaman

For a solid light that won't leave you wanting anything better I use a Petzl Nao. It's not the lightest but it's tough, long lasting, bright, and can lock in the off position.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Ah yes, headlamps are the next thing on our list that we're researching.

the petzyl elite is my favorite for UL, but it is not very bright and not very waterproof. I am a huge fan of princeton tech lights. They are on par with all other major manufacturers and the warranty is hard to beat. I have sent in a few for warranty work and they have given me a new headlamp each time. Don't let the fact that I have sent a few in scare you. I have about 20 of them and the ones I am sending in have been abused for the past 8 years.

Caleb

Well guys, thanks for the great advice. We did it yesterday and today and the trip was quite amazing. Last night in camp, my wife turned to me (as we're lounged back in our chairs watching everyone else fumble around with their gear) and said "thanks for making sure we had the right gear". So her thanks goes to you guys as well, it made for a comfortable trip. :)