Hillbilly Delux Camper/Hauler build by Brian

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
We have had a few great trips in the camper now. I finally got around to putting some linseed oil on the decking.. Big difference it made in appearance. I still have not finished a lot of little things like running lights on the camper, better tie downs for the dirt bikes, etc.
The more we use it the more I enjoy it, but my wife on the other hand likes it less each time.. The bathroom is smaller than our previous camper, there is not as much cabinet space as we use to have, the colors aren't right.. Or what ever else she may have against it..

So in a quest to please my wife, I am contemplating a different trailer (again).. Anybody have an idea on what you think this trailer may be worth? A couple buddies and I chatted about it over the camp fire and had a rather large difference in opinion. I was the lowest guess, so you wont hurt my feelings.. But I would love some feedback.

We spent 3 days at Little Sahara, and my girls filled these bags of trash almost entirely by themselves. They were so proud to be able to help clean up the area!

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 51

jeeper

We had a great time rick, The weather was great, the kids we well behaved, nothing broke down, and I didn't even think about all the stuff I had to do this next week. It really was 3 great days!

I like it.

Are you going bigger on your next one?

I think I may have left the axles in their original location and/or anticipated a heavier rig (closer to 5000 lbs). It's less about 60/40 and more about final weight distribution. Though the two correlate, toy haulers (which this basically is) change the equation a little because of the heavier removeable loads.

jeeper

This is about the only one. I have some of it in the back ground of video's.. But nothing that shows much detail..
IMG_5257.JPG

jeeper

We have really loved this trailer. after many many nights of camping we have developed a list of likes and dislikes about it.
The #1 dislike was that the kids slept on the fold down kitchen table. I felt like the wife and I had no place to sit and chat/play games after the kids were in bed. I want to relax and enjoy her company, and it just wasn't happening the way I wanted.
a close #2 was that my wife felt like the floor always felt dirty.. Even after extensive cleaning she was not happy.

To solve these issues we have decided to make a triple bunk bed for the kids, and to replace the carpeting with a wood (laminate) floor.

The fridge has still never worked right, and we have never used a campers shower in all our days.. So out they come. This was a semi-hard decision as we will for sure never have a working fridge.. But we have become used to the coolers again, and I believe the extra room will far out weigh the missing fridge.
Here is how is sat before (well, it was clean and wasn't missing a drawer)

before.JPG

We pulled out the fridge/shelves/shower

during 2.JPG

The toilet area is a little cramped. We rarely use the bathroom sink.. so it came out. The cabinet is out now also. We use the kitchen sink for all hand washing anyway.. So it was redundant to have another.

durring.JPG

The back wall had some water damage form the leaking window, so it was removed and will be repaired.
The idea is that the triple bunks will go in the same space as the shower/fridge. There will be a wall in the bathroom portion, and it will be open where the fridge was for the kiddo's to climb into. The bunks will be about 2'x5', which I figure will work for another 4-5 years. The toilet is being turned to face sideways now that there is no sink, which feel a LOT better.
Here is how is sits as of tonight.

after.JPGafter 2.JPG

I have got to remove that portion of the wheel well to make room for the lowest bunk.
There are some big plans in place for the outside portions of the wheel wells also :)

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Awesome progress! I like the idea of tiny bunks and more usable space. Is this going to be ready in time for Brian's blitzing birthday bash?

Rock Taco

How do I remove that bottom picture attachment????
In edit mode you have to go into manage attachments (I think thats what its called) then in the attachment section on the bottom hover over the picture you want to delete then click the x in the top right corner and save.

You could always get an ARB or the like fridge freezer to use in this and in the XJ.

jeeper

In edit mode you have to go into manage attachments (I think thats what its called) then in the attachment section on the bottom hover over the picture you want to delete then click the x in the top right corner and save.

You could always get an ARB or the like fridge freezer to use in this and in the XJ.

Good work :)

A Little more progress tonight. Sorry for the bad pics in advance.

I used 1/2 plywood for the walls. I wanted to provide a little more rigidity and insulation than just the camper walls.
Each bunk is 24" tall, the kids fit great.

bunk 1.JPG

The door to the bathroom used to go straight across the hall, and would have given the kids a 24" opening to climb into bed. I realized I could angle it back a little, and ended up getting a 33" opening, and still have plenty of room in the bathroom.

bunk 2.JPG

I switched the direction of the door, so it now opens towards the bunks, this will act as a guard to keep the kids from rolling out of bed in their sleep.

Three kids happy happy happy in their beds.

bunk 3.JPG

I have got some large pieces of memory foam we will cut to shape for their mattresses. I plan on painting/papering the new wood.

ricsrx

I like how its going, i would be alittle worried about resale problems with no fridge and shower..I know i dont use my shower much but its nice when you need one. I also didn the laminate floor in the motor home afew years ago, I have worried about it holding up to riding boots and all but so far so good.

jeeper

i would be alittle worried about resale problems with no fridge and shower..

I had thought about that also. However, we are building it for our own use and not so much for it's future value... and I am not sure that it is worth all that much anyway, so I was not too worried. Only time will tell if it was the right answer, but as for now I am waaay excited about it.

I ended up getting a 'floating vinyl plank' floor from Home Depot. Supposedly it holds up better than the wood flooring, and can get as wet as it wants with no problems. We will see how it does.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...oring-24-sq-ft-Case-57111-0/202075777?N=bzjz#

jeeper

I like this build, but it seriously looks like it needs a 3rd axle. Id hate to see what would happen if ya had a tire blowout . Not baggin just a suggestion .:)

The axles are each 9K or 10K rated.. but I don't remember.

I had a hard enough time getting 2 axles square, a third would be murder! :rofl: