Hmmmm, Interesting law suit

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Physicians group files federal suit against Discovery Channel's 'Diesel Brothers'
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42844920

I'm not for or against arbitrary emission controls, and I think the Physician's group is full of quacks, but this sure gives a few people a negative impression of some in the off-road community.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
This was in the news quite a while ago, possibly a year ago when they were talking about doing it. Dumb.

B2-Bomber

but this sure gives a few people a negative impression of some in the off-road community.

I'm not sure which way you mean this.

Do you mean that the negative impressions are because of coal-rollers making truck/4wd owners look bad?

Or do you mean that the physicians group and their meddling in someone else's affairs is making the off road community look bad?

I think arguments could be made both ways though. Either way, my money is on the "physicians group" being a puppet to discovery Channel to drive viewership.

They fostered on-screen conflict with American Chopper a decade ago, they fostered it with those street outlaw guys and "law enforcement"

I bet this is no different.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I'm actually glad that they are doing this, also glad that Weber county finally has testing for diesels, there is no excuse for putting that crap into the air when it can be prevented. For those who whine about losing power due to installing a legal cat are simply full of CRAP, the 100% legal Magnaflow 60111 cat I ran on my diesel gave up a whopping 1.3% flow compared to a straight pipe, a far cry from what most uneducated consumers claim when they talk about power losses. But I suppose rolling coal and running lift blocks kind of match the type of person who would make such claims....

Coco

My only argument to the "rolling coal" garbage, is it is usually the punk kids that think it is cool to do it. Just because my truck is straight piped, and has an Edge EZ plug-in chip on it does not mean I "roll coal" or it even could. My truck has made a small poof once or twice trying to maneuver around road hazards, or exploiting a gap in traffic to make a turn, but by no means was it intended, or me trying to "roll coal" onto people. Hell, I have seen bone stock trucks produce smoke in a moment of quick action. The purpose of my truck is to get me from point A to point B, and get my crawler to and from trails. Not to drive like a dumbass kid that thinks it is cool to blow smoke, and tow there ghost trailers...

People can make the argument that they should outlaw or ban all tractor pulls, and diesel drags then. If you want to see clouds of black smoke, look at that...

This is just my .02, not pointed at anyone or anything in general. Blame the user, not the tool.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm not sure which way you mean this.

Do you mean that the negative impressions are because of coal-rollers making truck/4wd owners look bad?

Or do you mean that the physicians group and their meddling in someone else's affairs is making the off road community look bad?

I think arguments could be made both ways though. Either way, my money is on the "physicians group" being a puppet to discovery Channel to drive viewership.

They fostered on-screen conflict with American Chopper a decade ago, they fostered it with those street outlaw guys and "law enforcement"

I bet this is no different.

What I mean, is people not in the offroad community will judge all of us in the offroad community by the actions of those that don't represent me, or the vast majority of the community, by the actions of this shop. The community sees lifted diesel trucks in the news with a shop removing emissions controls and develops an automatic opinion of the whole community. They start thinking every diesel, and every lifted truck, pollutes more. I don't think it is fair, but it is a sad reality, especially in SL County where the libs are getting stronger and stronger, and have greater influence (I know this shop is in Davis County, but SL County reads the news too).

Like I said earlier, the Physicians for Clean Air are a bunch of quacks, but the science does show that the majority of pollutants comes from tail pipe emissions in out valley. This does give credence to their suit of this shop is removing the smog equipment.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
A friend was up there today and talk to them about the lawsuit. They said it wasn't even real. However, many people try to down play legal action taken against their business so who knows.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have a child with a severe respiratory disease so I am biased, but our air sucks. Not as much lately but it is bad. However, Rio Tinto burns literally hundreds of thousands of gallons of diesel per day. Things like that are where we can change our situation. I hate the trucks/people rolling coal because it serves no purpose and pollutes. But even they don't cause as much pollution in sl and UT Valley as one mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Rolling coal is super lame and I'm not a huge fan of that shop in particular but silly lawsuits and more laws are bad things mmmmkay. Anybody that thinks stopping dorks from blowing black smoke will even put a dent in our overall pollution is high on something much stronger than diesel emissions.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I like watching cool things get built but........ I hate being behind a guy blowing black smoke on purpose (stomping the pedal at every light). [emoji107] [emoji35]
I have to turn my heater off to make it not smell inside. Still does.

I see the same guy every week.
Hope his junk blows up.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I'm actually glad that they are doing this, also glad that Weber county finally has testing for diesels, there is no excuse for putting that crap into the air when it can be prevented. For those who whine about losing power due to installing a legal cat are simply full of CRAP, the 100% legal Magnaflow 60111 cat I ran on my diesel gave up a whopping 1.3% flow compared to a straight pipe, a far cry from what most uneducated consumers claim when they talk about power losses. But I suppose rolling coal and running lift blocks kind of match the type of person who would make such claims....

^^Agreed. Most people don't realize that when all that black smoke is bellowing out the tailpipe what they are actually doing is wasting "green". I try telling some kids I work with that they are just wasting energy by dumping that black exhaust out the tailpipe and evidently they know more than the rest of us. Hell, they must have read it on the internet that it was cool. They just think it is cool to create a smokescreen but to uniformed to realize they are just throwing money away and that black smoke is not producing any additional power.

I just moved to Weber Co and we now have diesel emissions testing. Other than it being a PITA to get the testing done I am not opposed to it but I have to wonder just how much the testing is helping. I see more and more smoke producing trucks around all the time rather than less. I know a lot of people that just register their vehicles at other residence to avoid having to be tested. Seems like the ones that are being tested can already pass the test and those that are smoking in our communities don't even seem to be registered in our communities.

Mike.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
^^Agreed. Most people don't realize that when all that black smoke is bellowing out the tailpipe what they are actually doing is wasting "green". I try telling some kids I work with that they are just wasting energy by dumping that black exhaust out the tailpipe and evidently they know more than the rest of us. Hell, they must have read it on the internet that it was cool. They just think it is cool to create a smokescreen but to uniformed to realize they are just throwing money away and that black smoke is not producing any additional power.

I just moved to Weber Co and we now have diesel emissions testing. Other than it being a PITA to get the testing done I am not opposed to it but I have to wonder just how much the testing is helping. I see more and more smoke producing trucks around all the time rather than less. I know a lot of people that just register their vehicles at other residence to avoid having to be tested. Seems like the ones that are being tested can already pass the test and those that are smoking in our communities don't even seem to be registered in our communities.

Mike.

Some details here http://www.standard.net/Environment...o-catch-smoking-vehicles-so-far-blowing-smoke and here http://www.standard.net/Environment...ssions-testing-approved-for-Weber-County.html