Hmmmm.....Mike Mills....not sure where I've heard that name before....?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Can I have your autograph? :greg:

Now, serious question....what does the June Sucker do that Carp don't? Or I guess I should say, other than the sentimental "don't let a species die out" feeling, why do we need to keep the June Sucker around?

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Ummm...its a really common name. There must be a few dozen people in Utah named Mike Mills. Of course they may also be referring to that guy from REM. ;)

I guess my worlds may be colliding (Seinfeld reference)...

To answer the serious question, let me try to put it in appropriate terms for the board:

What the media types (and many biologists) fail to understand is this really isn't about the June sucker. It is about the health of Utah Lake and creating/improving a resource that provides benefits to multiple uses. Utah Lake is currently in pretty sad shape. It is much like an engine that is very low on oil and the oil light is on. The fact that Utah Lake can't sustain a June sucker population is like Utah Lake's oil light coming on. Of course, when the oil light comes on its not for the oil's sake, its because your engine is about to blow up.

Bart

Yes, agreed, Utah Lake is in terrible shape. Very sad for a resource that could be fantastic. I hate the carp, and would love to see them gone. I would also love to see the lake cleaned up. I know I"m selfish, but I also think the amount of money being spent to save the June Sucker is outrageous, but I guess that's what happens when they are an endangered species, and to get rid of the carp makes it palatable.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
What the media types (and many biologists) fail to understand is this really isn't about the June sucker. It is about the health of Utah Lake and creating/improving a resource that provides benefits to multiple uses. Utah Lake is currently in pretty sad shape. It is much like an engine that is very low on oil and the oil light is on. The fact that Utah Lake can't sustain a June sucker population is like Utah Lake's oil light coming on. Of course, when the oil light comes on its not for the oil's sake, its because your engine is about to blow up.

So what you're saying is that Utah Lake is gonna blow up. That I gotta see.

Carp powered engines? Pure genius...

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
make the carp into biofuel. I wouldn't know what to do if we didn't have the wafting stench of the lake anymore....

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
I know I"m selfish, but I also think the amount of money being spent to save the June Sucker is outrageous, but I guess that's what happens when they are an endangered species, and to get rid of the carp makes it palatable.

The money is outrageous. It helps me to look at what the money has really been spent on. Almost 3/4 of it has gone to buy water rights in order to run water down the Provo River. There are many who benefit from that. If it wasn't for those purchases, most years the Provo River would be essentially dry through the town of Provo from April through October.

So what you're saying is that Utah Lake is gonna blow up. That I gotta see.

I knew the analogy would work. :D