Hog Canyon in Kanab

sixstringsteve

oops, let me rephrase. on a scale of 1-10 how "extreme" are the "extreme" trails up in Hog Canyon. The 1-10 scale is really helpful for me to judge. I know a lot of people who think Mineral Basin is extreme, and I think trails like Coyote Canyon and Upper Heldorado are extreme.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Wow, that sure is a cool old blue CJ-5 on the BLM site:) I miss it.

I don't really think any of the trails would be considered extreme, especially compared to some of the crazy ones that are now at Sand Hollow. The most difficult is Tom's Canyon which is propably a 6, but can be a 7 with a few optional lines or when it's wet. Most of the trails fall within the 4 to 5 range, with a few spots that can be 6 rated at times, such as the one we call the Big Hill.

If your looking at the "extreme" rating on the State Parks site, they are thinking ATV's and some of the drop-offs can put you on your head. They are not that bad for full size vehicles

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hog Canyon is a good time & Kanab is a fun little town to hang in. My recommendation would be to wait until CC4x4 is doing an event or trail ride and tag-a-long. One can never beat local intel.

sixstringsteve

Hog Canyon is a good time & Kanab is a fun little town to hang in. My recommendation would be to wait until CC4x4 is doing an event or trail ride and tag-a-long. One can never beat local intel.

Good call. is CC 4x4 on here? Got any trips planned in early 2013?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
CC4x4 = Canyon Country 4x4 Club
Don B = CC4x4 President

They have hosted multi-day, multi-trail events in the past, one of my favorite organized runs as a participant :D

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Thanks Kurt,

Actually I'm CC4x4 Secretary/Treasurer these days, but still all the same.

We held the U4WDA Spring Ride here in 2007, but I can't find a trip report on it.

CC4x4 can do a trail ride anytime someone want to come visit. We hosted Lone Peak 4 Wheelers this year. If we can get enough interest we will put together a spring ride event in May or June of 2013

sixstringsteve

Great. I'll round up a group and we'll get some plans together. And of course we'll do a video of the trip. I'll get in touch with you once we get a group together and we have a date in mind. Which months are too hot to wheel down there (over 90*)?

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I don't think it's ever too hot to wheel here, but then I'm an old desert rat that thinks 85* is cool.

July and August are the hot months when daytime temps are generally 90* or more. June can be whatever it decides to be.

The trails sit at an elevation of 5500 to 6000' so it's much cooler than St. George or even Moab in the summer.

ericksin

Thanks Kurt,

Actually I'm CC4x4 Secretary/Treasurer these days, but still all the same.

We held the U4WDA Spring Ride here in 2007, but I can't find a trip report on it.

CC4x4 can do a trail ride anytime someone want to come visit. We hosted Lone Peak 4 Wheelers this year. If we can get enough interest we will put together a spring ride event in May or June of 2013

Hey Don, a friend sent me this link...
I'm from Prescott Arizona and planing to do a Kanab trip April 14th through the 19th. as of right now it 3 jeeps going. I have a few questions for you :)

What campground do you recommend (with showers if possible)?

Is there a 4wheeler book or some maps i can get for the trails? none of us had spent any time up there so we don't have any clue on the trail names. i have about the some info as Sixstrigsteve does.

What do you think the temp will be in April?

Is it possible to maybe get with you so you can show us around?

And who ever is reading this and has never been there and is interested in going, your more than welcome to hang with us. Where a pretty easy going group that likes to explore and have some good challenges. And a very strong believer in pack out what you pack in

Last edited:

gbindoso

Hello ericksin I would be happy to stop by the local BLM Office and pick up a hog canyon trails map. Let me know the best way to get it to you.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I was in the Kanab BLM Field Office this morning and they didn't have maps of Hog Canyon. They've revised them with some changes in the difficulty ratings and they don't have the new map finished and printed yet. I have copies of the draft map which I've been using to update the trail markers and would be happy to send one to anyone needing a map in the near future.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Hey Don, a friend sent me this link...
I'm from Prescott Arizona and planing to do a Kanab trip April 14th through the 19th. as of right now it 3 jeeps going. I have a few questions for you :)

What campground do you recommend (with showers if possible)?

Is there a 4wheeler book or some maps i can get for the trails? none of us had spent any time up there so we don't have any clue on the trail names. i have about the some info as Sixstrigsteve does.

What do you think the temp will be in April?

Is it possible to maybe get with you so you can show us around?

And who ever is reading this and has never been there and is interested in going, your more than welcome to hang with us. Where a pretty easy going group that likes to explore and have some good challenges. And a very strong believer in pack out what you pack in

There are three commercial campgrounds in Kanab, I couldn't really say which is best. I have maps and would be glad to show you around. The weather is usually pretty unsettled in April, temps 50's, 60's, maybe warmer but...

larrybenny

larrybenny
I stayed at the coral pink sand dunes forest service campground. It is only about 20 min from town and very nice with showers. You need to make reservations ahead of time though as it could get crowded during that time frame. Also several areas to off road if you look around the sand dune area. I wouldn't advise going into the dunes with a jeep unless its damp as the sand is very fine and deep. The fee was about $14.00 a night.

Last edited:

valleysol

I stayed at the coral pink sand dunes forest service campground. It is only about 20 min from town and very nice with showers. You need to make reservations ahead of time though as it could get crowded during that time frame. Also several areas to off road if you look around the sand dune area. I wouldn't advise going into the dunes with a jeep unless its damp as the sand is very fine and deep. The fee was about $14.00 a night.

The Forest Service does not have any camp grounds in the area. You must of stayed at the "Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park". The other coumpground in the area is BLM and it has no showers or water only sanf and tables.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Don, sounds like you have at least two trips coming up next year. I will follow this post and see if it would be possible to come along or would you want to make one of them a U4WDA trip and have a larger group attend. Don't know what your schedule is like or if you guys are up to it again this time so let us know as I am sure I can get the rest of U4 to go along with whatever you decide.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I am posting this from the other site to get more information.[/FONT]