Hole In the Rock, Red Canyon, Blue Notch, & other trails in danger - We need help!

mombobuggy

Hole in the rock is on my bucket list. It would be very sad to lose any more of our heritage to extremist nut cases. I would like to help in some way.

Olaf

Supporting Member
I'll read up on the suggested links. I can't attend the meeting but can you summarize and sketch what comes out of the meeting so that I can get the word out to our corporate supporters?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'll read up on the suggested links. I can't attend the meeting but can you summarize and sketch what comes out of the meeting so that I can get the word out to our corporate supporters?

That would be great. Once we have had time to evaluate the DEIS, form a comment and come up with a list of suggested talking points... we will need as much distribution as we can get.

sixstringsteve

Those links are actually quite easy to read. Even if I can't make the letter party, I'll send mine in and make sure my family does as well.

capt scotty

If you've got room for one more I can make this work for me also. I will read up on the links I have a pretty flexible schedule so let me know how I can help.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If you've got room for one more I can make this work for me also. I will read up on the links I have a pretty flexible schedule so let me know how I can help.

Yup, more the merrier. Let's give everyone through the weekend to study up and we'll start planning a meeting next week.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
How is everyone doing on the reading? Feeling more comfortable with the scope of this project?

My hard copy book arrived today, it's about 3" thick :eek:

How is everyone looking for a sit down over pizza to discuss?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Unfortunately I haven't got to any of it yet. The 13 hour work days as of late are killing me.

No sweat, do what you can when you can... we have a few weeks.

I am also a land use noob, but willing to attend and become more involved.

Get involved with this process and you can learn a ton, I learn a ton with each of these too! Read through the recommended docs and come ready to brainstorm/discuss.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I've gotten to the beginning of Chapter 2. I really need a hard copy, it would make it so much easier.

I'm down for getting together. I'm free anyway but Thurday through Sunday of next week.

minisrus

The Hole in the Rock road is open under all plans A-E .... the only downside is Plan D which would only leave it open to conventional vehicles. Under all other alternatives including the preferred plan E it is also open to OHV's and ATV's .... 2477 routes and the Rincon Road are not open for consideration under this plan. The worst part of this plan it looks like they are heading to a permit systeym to use the back country.

It looks to me as we are better off with Alternate plan A.

Alternate plan A (No Changes) even though they will close areas currently in use not in conformity with the 1979 travel plan. ( No permit required )

Alternate plan B (no off road use)... but Hole in the rock trail is still open...

Alternate Plan C (increased motorized access) adds 2 sites but requires the permit systeym ....

Alternate D (limited off road use) eliminates 10 current sites to motorized use... Hole in the Rock trail still open but limited to conventional motor vehicles and requires the permit systeym...

Alternate Plan E (mixed use) NPS preffered... designates one additional motorized vehicle use but requires the permit systeym .

So in the end I do not prefer a permit that can be revoked or limited at any time.... I think we need to push for Alternative A.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Good summation minisrus.

I think the permit versus less access needs to be a personal decision, I'm a bit torn on it myself as permit areas can and do work really well in some Utah areas (Canyonlands for example) but they add one more step (and cost) to recreating on public lands. I think for the purpose of this comment writing, we need to educate motorized users on how each proposal effects them and more importantly give them the insight to make a "meaningful comment" which are far more weighted than a "I like plan A" type of comment.

So, when can you gents meet to get rolling on this?