Hole in the Rock Trail Questions

kobyhud

Lurker
Heading down to Hole in the Rock trail in a couple weeks. We were planning on doing the three day trip.

I have a Springbar style tent and was wondering what type of stakes I should be bringing to secure my tent?

Any specific campground I should be looking for?

rholbrook

There are really no campgrounds. My suggestion is to stay out of any washes and off the main trail. You will need either a drill to drill the rock and set some anchors or really long pegs that will be able to get through the sand into the sand stone. When I setup my tent, I couldn't use the pegs. The wind was blowing at near hurricane velocity and in the morning my tent had literally moved 8 inches during the night. Caleb and Corbin slept in the open air because their tents required the peg to be in to keep up. Just put lots of weight in them.

ret32

Use the giant 10" long nail style pegs that are like $2.50 a 4-pack at Walmart. In hard ground they are the easiest to drive in and the easiest to pull out and they won't bend or break (unlike "no bendums" or the plastic ones). In soft sand you can put two pegs in each hole at opposite 45* angles (so they make an X), with the pressure of the tent pulling at the center of the X. The X configuration will hold extremely well in soft sand and high winds. For even more sand/wind stability, dig a 6" hole, set the pegs in the X configuration at the bottom of the hole, then fill the hole back in. Your tent will tear long before the pegs will pull out.

As far as camping, although there are no established campgrounds, it's certainly best to use existing campsites where the land has already been disturbed rather than create a new site. There are several areas that have become popular. Probably two of the best based on location (good for camping in the same spot for both nights on a 3 day trip are right near the GCNRA/BLM border) are Frenchie's Camp and Big Alcove Camp.

For info on those you can Google:

frenchie's camp hole in the rock

or

big alcove camp hole in the rock

sixstringsteve

you can also tie a big rock in a bandana, and then tie the bandana to the stake holes. I doubt it's enough weight for a springbar, but it's a good last-resort option.

Last edited:

Caleb

Personally, I'd find a different tent. As Russ mentioned, my tent was not a free standing tent and there was no way in the world I was going to get a stake in the ground. Even when you are on the sand, it's only a couple inches deep and then it's slickrock below that. A springbar would be even worse because they require a good hold to really keep them up, if you have any wind (we had MASSIVE wind), there's no way your springbar will stay standing. I ended up under the stars in my sleeping bag. :)

EDIT: As Russ mentioned, his tent had moved several inches during the night and that was with him, his two sons, and his father-in-law in there. Get something that doesn't require stakes.

Last edited:

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
I was there a few weeks ago and camped above Death Valley in a nice large "alcove" area. Lots of hard packed sandy areas. I just drove stakes and they held great, but then again, we didn't have any high winds to deal with. Plenty of trees also to add tie downs if need be.