Hole in the rock trip report Nov 29

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
Wow! what an awesome trip. The weather stayed beautiful all weekend and the wheeling was great.

Laura and I left Grand Junction at about 0500 on Friday morning and arrived without incident at the trail head first. Every one else left SLC area around 0500 and arrived about an hour later. There was a little snow over the passes but once we got to Southern Utah the sun was shining.

tn_DSCF0040.JPG

After unloading the vehicles and loading up the gear and supplies we left the tow rigs at about 1230. The 5 vehicles wheeled in to lake canyon camp and ran into a couple of friends from Delta that had headed up the Lake Canyon trail from the halls crossing airport. We continued to travel up to the first obstacle.

tn_DSCF0053.JPG

The drop was a mild one but loaded down with heavy camping gear caused some shifting and one small scare when Tony's Bronco trailer decided it wanted to try and push his Bronco head over heels. Quick reactions prevailed and both vehicle and trailer maintained Terra firma side down.

tn_DSCF0093.JPG

After a couple more hours of back country wheeling we arrived at base camp where the boys from Delta had set up thier tents and started to make thier suppers. We quickly followed suit and we able to get our tents up quickly even though it was after sunset. Laura and I had volunteered to make the first dinner and I built us a fire to cook over. We made spaghetti and meatballs with Pudgy pies for dessert. Everybody was pretty tired that first night and crashed out right after chow.

tn_DSCF0349.JPG

The sun came up the next morning and everyone stayed hidden in thier tents until a fire was built. Soon we had a great breakfast scramble, put together by Nick and Tony, and were ready to hit the trail. Not long after departing camp we came to a minor drop off and a little play area. We then wheeled up the side of a small cliff laura was calling mini cliff hanger in reminder of the Moab trail.

tn_DSCF0130.JPG

Leaving the climb behind we crested out on Grey Mesa and paused for an overlook of the San Juan River. Peggy went down the hill a little far but luckily enough Steve was ready with his Warn 8274 winch to pull her back to the top.

tn_DSCF0200.JPG

Traveling further we came to the chute and played a little but not wanting to shorten the trip we continued on down. At the bottom of the chute the dogs got quite a suprise when they fell into a hot tub that was full of water 20' deep.

tn_DSCF0238.JPG

Wheeling further we finally reached the end of the 4wheel trail around 1530. Not having already eaten everyone broke out sandwiches and Tony had a smoked salmon tucked away somewhere. We knew we would be traveling some in the dark but wanted to head back and hopefully get to the mini cliffhanger before light was an issue.

tn_DSCF0336.JPG

Unfortunately we didn't make it before dark. We had a minor break on Tony's Bronco's climbing back up the chute and had to strap it with only the front differential working. The climb back to Grey Mesa was quickly accomplished and Carl and Danny ran ahead to scout out the route down the mini cliff in the dark.

tn_DSCF0343.JPG

Upon arriving at the drop we were relieved to hear the scouts had found the path in the dark and smartly placed a trail of bread crumbs for everyone to follow. Picking up the bread crumbs we made our way down the path and quickly arrived back at base camp.

tn_DSCF0103.JPG

Within minutes we had another fire and Carl and Rhonda whipped up a great Chili con Carne with scones, while Steve and Peggy cooked polish dogs to plus up the feast. With scones and pie filling for desert everyone again went to bed with full bellys.

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
Hnr part ii

Waking to burn the last of the firewood, Danny and Ashley cooked up some Griddle cakes and eggs to everyones delight. We broke camp around 1000 and headed back.

tn_DSCF0355.JPG

Rearranging vehicle order in order to get the broken Bronco and the trailer back, the group headed out quickly. We made a couple of climbs with out any incident and quickly made it to the top of the mesa headed down to the Tow rigs. On the way down hill the group had another minor break down when Steve's hydro steering ram broke. Luckily Steve still had plugs for his steering box and quickly the group made it back to the trailers.

tn_DSCF0375.JPG

Oh I forgot, laura broke a shock mount along the way but I removed it and we continued on. After loading up on the trailers we headed for home and made a dinner stop at a greasy dive in Hanksville. Right after Hanksville the wheels fell off!

tn_DSCF0386.JPG

Just joking, Steve's trailer tire blew so we went to ramp that trailer, well that sunk in the dirt so we got the jack out, well that took a while to get functioning but we finally got the wheel changed, but then had Tony's tow rig sink in the dirt and get stuck. Ok so much for the keystone caper. We got under way and made it home with out any further problem.

tn_HnRGroup.jpg

Thanks for everyone who made it out! It was a great group to go wheeling with and I would love to do it again next year. This was the second trip at the same time of year so now it has to be an annual trip. Carl and I also came to the conclusion we will have to wheel the cliff side at night again since it hasn't been done in the daytime and it might be scary in daylight.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Great report! I need to do that trail soon. Still equipping our daily driver for this kind of stuff, I can't wait!

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
Great report! I need to do that trail soon. Still equipping our daily driver for this kind of stuff, I can't wait!

That is what is nice about my wife letting me drive her rig sometimes. I thought about taking the buggy but that would have really sucked if it had snowed or rained.

EB101

After months of my wife feeling like I love the bronco more than her, I heard something I never thought would come out of her mouth. She said.. go out and work on the bronco and get it ready for "our" next trip.

We had a great time too. Here are a few more pics. We are already looking forward to next years trip.

-Steve

Attachments

• P1000302 [640x480].JPG
    P1000302 [640x480].JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P1000315 [640x480].JPG
    P1000315 [640x480].JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 16
  • P1000322 [640x480].JPG
    P1000322 [640x480].JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1000336 [640x480].JPG
    P1000336 [640x480].JPG
    32 KB · Views: 14
  • P1000351 [640x480].JPG
    P1000351 [640x480].JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 23

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have done this several times on a motorcycle and look forward to doing it in my TJ after I finish with the axle upgrades.

How was it getting that trailer around the washout in Lake Canyon?

Crinco

Hey Dusty, sounds like a great trip! You ran into my buddy Kieth from delta too, he's a great guy :) He went to Southern Utah instead of Moab this year. One of these days I am going to run that trail too!
Chris R.

Bart

We ran that a year ago and I want to go back, but will have to do it in the buggy. As the winter goes along I'm going to get the buggy somewhat enclosed. Still won't be as good on that trip as an expedition rig. ARRRRG, I need another rig (in addition to, not instead of). Braden's XJ would be killer on that run.

dustybronco

www.sextonoffroad.com
I will have to take you up on that offer :) Glad your back home safe, to stay this time I hope...

Thanks! I like to go to far away foreign lands traveling mile upon mile through isolated desolate country to kill people for money. But only on the weekends. Semper Fi

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The New trail does not go up lake canyon anymore. But the trailer did fine with no problems.

Correct, but the original is still accessable to full-size....until 3 more feet of the bank wash away.
So you took the new access that starts East of the airport? If so, how was the new access in a full-size? I rode it on a motorcycle the beginning of November and there were a couple of off-camber sections that I thought would be pretty sketchy in a full-size.