Hole in the Rock

frenchiexj

Frenchie
The books that I have are "Hole in the Rock" by David E. Miller, ISBN #09639924-1-4. "A guide to Southern Utah’s Hole in the Rock Trail" by Stewart Aitchison. Isbn # 087480-821-9. "The Rebirth of the historic Old Hole-in-the-Rock Trail as a Recreational Trail" William LeGrand Black is a 3 ring binder of 188 pages of photo copy of his thesis, August 1995. This was part of his Masters Degree from Brigham Young University. You may be able to find a copy at the University.

One of the Video’s I have watched are at a friends house in Kingman (Golden Valley), AZ at this time. I do not know where Brad is at now. He is on the road a lot and he is not answering his phone. When I get himat home I will have him get the info. off of the video. The other one was a different video I ran across on the TV.

Last edited:

frenchiexj

Frenchie
I am a slow at typing and poor as a speller. The best way would be to join me on one of the EJS trips I led. I do not lead the labor day trip for the Red Rock 4-wheelers club. I sure do not have a hard time talking. I have had people who have gone with me on this trail over 7 time because they like the information I give out. I always forget a little of the information on each trip and remember it the next time. I do better when people ask questions, then I remember.

frenchiexj

Frenchie
"Hole in the Rock" Video

I got Brad to return my message about the VCR tape on "Hole in the Rock" it is called the"The Journey, San Juan Colonization". I may have time on my way back from EJS to pick it up. If do not have to do the training in Enterprise, UT. I will have time to get it. When I get back I have a couple days before my classes in Ocotillo wells OHV Park. That leaves me one day to get to Arizona to pick up my clients for Copper Canyon for a 2 week trip. When I get back I may be able to make copies of the video for those who may want it. I believe this may have been a PBS program and the Salt lake PBS station may have copies. This could be a quicker way to get the tape.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
..."The Rebirth of the historic Old Hole-in-the-Rock Trail as a Recreational Trail" William LeGrand Black is a 3 ring binder of 188 pages of photo copy of his thesis, August 1995...

My copy arrived today (thank again Ken :cool: :cool:), I can't wait to have a minute to check it out, looks like its got some neat stuff in it.

Now for the documentary's, anyone find a copy? :D

TimB

Homesick
Hi Frenchie - see ya in a few days.

Here's a link to some history of the area as well.

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/pioneers_and_cowboys/hole-in-the-rocktrekremainsanepicexperience.html

"Incredible Passage Through the Hole-In-The-Rock", by Lee Reay (1980) ISBN 0-934826-06-4
"The Hole-in-the-Rock Trail a Century Later", by Allan Kent Powell (1983), ISBN 0-879058-85-4
"Hole-in-the-Rock: An Epic in the Colonization of the Great American West", by David E. Miller (1966), ISBN 0-963992-41-4
"Saga of San Juan", by Cornelia Adams Perkins, Marian Gardner Nielson, and Lenora Butt Jones (1968)

Last edited:

frenchiexj

Frenchie
For anyone who wants to get the latest information of the HITR trail. The best way to get in touch with me will be by phone. The Cell is 760-415-7071 and the Sat phone is 254-240-6947 (Between 5:00 PM and 8:00 PM) on the 14th of March. I will have GPS way points and surveyors ribbon marking the trail. I will be camping at the airport the evening of the 14th., if I can get my tail gunner to bring the group in from Moab for me. I do not have the outside antenna ($1,200.oo) for the vehicle so I have to be out of the vehicle for it to work.

thering

For anyone who wants to get the latest information of the HITR trail. The best way to get in touch with me will be by phone. The Cell is 760-415-7071 and the Sat phone is 254-240-6947 (Between 5:00 PM and 8:00 PM) on the 14th of March. I will have GPS way points and surveyors ribbon marking the trail. I will be camping at the airport the evening of the 14th., if I can get my tail gunner to bring the group in from Moab for me. I do not have the outside antenna ($1,200.oo) for the vehicle so I have to be out of the vehicle for it to work.

Hey has anyone been able to get a hold of frenchie yet. I tried both phone numbers this evening but was unable to get through. I guess if he is just camping at the airport he won't have any news about the wash out in Lake Canyon anyway. I'll try again tomorrow evening....

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Hey has anyone been able to get a hold of frenchie yet. I tried both phone numbers this evening but was unable to get through. I guess if he is just camping at the airport he won't have any news about the wash out in Lake Canyon anyway. I'll try again tomorrow evening....

Is there a new washout? The big one has been known about for quite sometime. There's also a complete re-route of the trail that doesn't even go to Lake Canyon now as well........

:confused:

Alex

I got a hold of Frenchie last night several times, the cell reception out there is poor and we kept getting disconnected. He said that the original 1/4 mile drive-around of the washout in Lake Canyon is still passable. He thought it could still be useable for the next 50 years or until the next big rainstorm, whichever comes first. The bad part of the washout is on the opposite side of the canyon from the road and has formed a deep, narrow gulley. He said there there is a sign on Hwy 276 at the Nokai Dome Road pointing the way to the new bypass that goes by the halftrack and entirely around Lake Canyon, dropping you back into the trail about 2 miles southwest of Lake Canyon. I asked him if he could post photos of the washout but that will probably have to wait until he gets home, after EJS.

If the GPS track I have is the correct routing of the new bypass, it a 15 mile detour to go around 6 miles of original trail coming in from the airport road. Starting at Nokai Dome and 276 will add 7.7 miles to the original 26 mile length of the original routing of the trail and you'll entirely miss beautiful Lake Canyon. Maybe Frenchie can confirm when he returns. He also mentioned that the new bypasss seems to have been used mostly by quads so far.

Thanks Frenchie for the intel!:greg:

thering

Is there a new washout? The big one has been known about for quite sometime. There's also a complete re-route of the trail that doesn't even go to Lake Canyon now as well........

:confused:

I didn't write "new washout" I wrote "news about the washout" :D
And yes I did know about the route around the canyons.

thering

I got a hold of Frenchie last night several times, the cell reception out there is poor and we kept getting disconnected. He said that the original 1/4 mile drive-around of the washout in Lake Canyon is still passable. He thought it could still be useable for the next 50 years or until the next big rainstorm, whichever comes first. The bad part of the washout is on the opposite side of the canyon from the road and has formed a deep, narrow gulley. He said there there is a sign on Hwy 276 at the Nokai Dome Road pointing the way to the new bypass that goes by the halftrack and entirely around Lake Canyon, dropping you back into the trail about 2 miles southwest of Lake Canyon. I asked him if he could post photos of the washout but that will probably have to wait until he gets home, after EJS.

If the GPS track I have is the correct routing of the new bypass, it a 15 mile detour to go around 6 miles of original trail coming in from the airport road. Starting at Nokai Dome and 276 will add 7.7 miles to the original 26 mile length of the original routing of the trail and you'll entirely miss beautiful Lake Canyon. Maybe Frenchie can confirm when he returns. He also mentioned that the new bypasss seems to have been used mostly by quads so far.

Thanks Frenchie for the intel!:greg:

Thanks for the update Alex. That is good news about the washout bypass!!

frenchiexj

Frenchie
Hi Everyone,

Reporting from Moab at the Easter Jeep Safari. The route that was put in around the washout is still the same as last year. I was able to get the Jeep and trailor into the camping area outside of the receration area without any problems. The newest route around the Lake Canyon is well marked starting with a sign on the road out to Halls Crossing (about 3 miles befor the airport). There are 2 signs where the newest route meets the old trail. They have arrows pointing the wayto Lake Canyon right)and Hole in the Rock (left). Monday we had a foot of snow fall on us during the night. Coming out eas much smoother with the snow cushion under the tires. We will see how this comings week trail goes, last weeks was a great trip.

thering

Hi Everyone,

Reporting from Moab at the Easter Jeep Safari. The route that was put in around the washout is still the same as last year. I was able to get the Jeep and trailor into the camping area outside of the receration area without any problems. The newest route around the Lake Canyon is well marked starting with a sign on the road out to Halls Crossing (about 3 miles befor the airport). There are 2 signs where the newest route meets the old trail. They have arrows pointing the wayto Lake Canyon right)and Hole in the Rock (left). Monday we had a foot of snow fall on us during the night. Coming out eas much smoother with the snow cushion under the tires. We will see how this comings week trail goes, last weeks was a great trip.

That is great news. Thanks for keeping us informed Frenchie!! Sounds like it was a cool trail run..I can't imagine getting up some of those obstacles with a foot of snow!

05rubicon

Hi Everyone,

I am going down in April I usually camp at the canyon below the fort of unknown origin, if I take the new road from noki dome is there a good place to camp between the half track and where the road ties in to the old road. Please advise Thanks

frenchiexj

Frenchie
Iwould recommend that you camp in the same place as you have in the past. The road in from the airport would be the easiest access to the camping area. The gas last weekend at the airport was $3.69.9 a gallon. The right turn to the rock corral, the left turn to the bypass by way of Nokei Dome.

OldGeezer

I am going down in April I usually camp at the canyon below the fort of unknown origin, if I take the new road from noki dome is there a good place to camp between the half track and where the road ties in to the old road. Please advise Thanks

For the first mile or two after the half track you could probably find a camp. After the road climbs up the ridge there's not much. Definately nothing as nice as the canyon.

Frenchie-

I was told that the airport didn't sell automotive fuel. Is this not true? I've always gone into Halls for gas but it sure would be nicer if I could get it at the airport.