Hole in the Rock

frenchiexj

Frenchie
They have gas and Jet fuel at the airport. If you stop in at the office Morey will meet yoy at the pimp. It is the first tank on the right as you head south from the office.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Frenchie, it was great chatting with you at the vendor show in Moab again this year. I will keep in touch on my conversations with the Park Service re: their new travel plan!

-Kurt from the U4WDA booth.

ZUKEYPR

You all got me confused and I'm 30 days out of running this and leading it, so my question is simple (hopefully) can we still get around the point that is just past the campsite that was under a big alcove at approx 12.5 miles in, that was just past the old spanish fort, where you went up an additional 100 meters maybe from there, then executed a big left hairpin turn up over the slickrock, right by the Canyon leaving the tree line? If this is good I can careless about the Nokia Dome route.

mohavebrown

Hey I was just perusing BLM's Draft Monticello RMP to educate myself on the resources and issues of the area. I also looked at the existing San Juan RMP which is currently in place. I deal with BLM and RMPs all across Nevada with my job but never have I seen a federal document mention "mental state" in a recreation section! - check this out, from the Monticello RMP, found on page 4-243:

"Recreational user satisfaction can be defined as the mental state in which the resource user is able to successfully benefit from the available recreational opportunities and recognize that his/her recreational experiences meet or exceed those recreational expectations."

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hey I was just perusing BLM's Draft Monticello RMP to educate myself on the resources and issues of the area. I also looked at the existing San Juan RMP which is currently in place. I deal with BLM and RMPs all across Nevada with my job but never have I seen a federal document mention "mental state" in a recreation section! - check this out, from the Monticello RMP, found on page 4-243:

"Recreational user satisfaction can be defined as the mental state in which the resource user is able to successfully benefit from the available recreational opportunities and recognize that his/her recreational experiences meet or exceed those recreational expectations."

I noticed that in a couple of the RMP's, supposedly the human experience is being considered :D

frenchiexj

Frenchie
Dave and everyone else,
I would like to lead all of you on HITR, but getting the time. The best time to do Hole in the Rock is at EJS as that time I have planned ahead for the coming year. You can sign up for the first or second trip, as I lead them both.
I may be back to Moab at the end of April early May working in Canyonlands. I hope to know before I leave for Copper Canyon, MX. in a week.

mohavebrown

Hey we're heading east this afternoon and will be on the HITR Trail sometime by late tomorrow morning probably. If anybody's heading that way this weekend we'll be the 2 FJ Cruisers carrying 5 folks and one big dog!

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
Howdy, I'm thinking of running the HITR trail over the 24th of July weekend. Is the trail pretty do able in two days, or should we plan on three? Also, we are thinking of taking a stock 98 4runner with the e-locker down the trail. It has 31" tires on it. Do you think that it would be do able in it or are we better off leaving that rig at home?

Alex

It's doable in 2 days but you will enjoy it better in at least 3. You will have to maintain a fast pace to finish it in a weekend. I did the trail last month and encountered a 4Runner on the trail and he seemed to have a lot of trouble due to lack of axle articulation but he obviously did not have a locker. There was also a group of stock Land Rovers that we passed on the climb up Grey Mesa, they were having a lot of trouble but that seemed to be from a lack of driving experience. They were so scared by the climb that they camped right at the top of Grey Mesa, turned around and went home the next day. Don't get me wrong, a stock 4x4 with a good driver can do this trail. You will enjoy it lots more at a slower pace and will be more likely to finish the trail. Are you going with a group? A smaller group will allow you to maintain a better pace, as long as the vehicles are all in top mechanical condition. You can only move as fast as the slowest rig. I did it over a 3 day weekend, including the drive to/from Albuquerque. Two vehicles seems to be the perfect size for a fast pace.

orig.jpg

05rubicon

Howdy, I'm thinking of running the HITR trail over the 24th of July weekend. Is the trail pretty do able in two days, or should we plan on three? Also, we are thinking of taking a stock 98 4runner with the e-locker down the trail. It has 31" tires on it. Do you think that it would be do able in it or are we better off leaving that rig at home?

The first time I went down I took my Toyota T100 I got half way up Grey's before giving up. When we go we take a lot of rigs that we use to haul gear to a camp just before Grey then take the better fitted rigs on in. You can run the trip in 2-3 days but that doesn't give you much time to see the sites. If you want to do a little hiking and see some of the history of the area you need 4-5 days. It a great trail.

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
Yea, so far we have two rigs going. My 85 4runner with 33's and front and rear lockers, and my friend's 2 wd rock buggy (it made it up potato salid hill and the bath tub at hells revenge over jeep safari). I was thinking about taking my 98 4runner as well just so there were two full sized vehicles in case one got stuck or something, but I'm really depating it cause I have to drive it every day and don't really want to mess it up. We are planning on leaving SLC on Thursday the 24th eairly enough to catch the first ferry out of bull frog and start the trail that day. We are planning on hitting the road for home late saturday night, or sunday morning depending on how the trail run goes. I hope that it will give us enough time to enjoy the trail.

If you guys know any body that wants to tag along with us, we would love one or two more rigs in the group so I don't have to take my newer runner.

thering

I think your rig will make it just fine as long as it has some more clearance than stock. My 89 Yota Pickup made it without any problems and it doesn't have any lockers. Just 33's and a 3 inch body lift. 31's seem to do just fine. I second the advice to do it in at least three days. We usually have taken 4 days and feel like we should take 5 to see all the sites.

bonedoc12

Relative to trail condition in Lake Canyon. As of Labor Day 2008 there was a significant loss of trail in comparison to Labor Day 2007. On the HITR trail the group was stopped at the ridge climb just past the Chute due to massive storms and flash-flooding. The wait to get back onto The Chute due to 4 foot of water flow after the downpour took two hours (to allow the water to slow to a traversable level). The following day, on the way out via Lake Canyon, the trail had lost another 6 feet at the exit from the fin where we entered three days ago. The sand base at the bottom of the fin had large cracks in it and the trail along the wall was about 10 feet wide and had several large washes across it. The sand is under cut by the wash and many of the trees and bushes that were retaining the trail are washed out and tipped over. It is my opinion that this entry to HITR is no longer safe. This is expecially true when the sand dries out and becomes more fluid, and for groups of heavy vehicles that need to count on the support. The drop off is over 150 feet. I will no longer use this access for my groups. A civil engineer on my trial volunteered his similiar opinion in collaboration with mine. Nokai Dome access here I come!

Alex

Thanks for the update, Bonedoc! I figured it was only a matter of time before the sand washed away. It looked pretty precarious in April 2008:
orig.jpg

Do you have any photos of its current condition?

thering

Thanks for the update, Bonedoc! I figured it was only a matter of time before the sand washed away. It looked pretty precarious in April 2008:
orig.jpg

Do you have any photos of its current condition?

I'm sorry but I just can't believe this canyon isn't getting more press than it is.. Shouldn't the speed that this erosion is happening be enough to get it on the 10 o'clock news? I think it should be at least highlighted on some geological study if not featured on a National Geographic Channel Documentary...
Just my thoughts...