Hole in the Rock

Samersen

I am planning a trip for my family and for my friends family to do Hole in the Rock, I have been reading on here and Expedition Utah about different options. But I have never been down there on this trail. I have heard rumors that you can run the trail the way that the pioneers did and then take a fairy to the other side of the trail and continue up the other side. Any idea's? Thanks guys!

rholbrook

You were lied to. No ferry to the other side unless you go to Halls Crossing, go to Bull Frog and then drive a long way around to get to the other side.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sadly no. You can't drive to the water on the east (south) side of the lake on the traditional HITR Trail. Even if you could, you would never make it up the Hole in the Rock (proper) which leads up the mesa to the Hole in the Rock Road on the west (north) side of the Lake. While there are places you can get a vehicle to the lake, there is zero ferry service with the exception of the UDOT ferry offering service from Bullfrog to Halls Crossing.

Suppose with enough lead time and money one could do a trans Lake-Powell ferry route... but that is a few years off ;)

:D

Samersen

Ok so while reading as many threads about HITR and looking up hotels and the ferry service. Does anyone know if there is more then one hotel in Halls Crossing? I found one but its about $300 a night thats a bit steep, I am taking my parents down and they are not campers I have them talked into camping on the trail but we are looking at hotels for the night after we get off the trail. I was hoping not to spend that much or have to drive back to bullfrog or any other far place. The last ferry is from Halls to Bullfrog is at 3pm and I just don't think that we will get back to it in time. Any ideas? Is there another small town with a little motel in it anywhere near Halls crossing?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Unfortunately hotels during peak season (warm boating weather) are not going to ever be cheap, while $300 is a bit surprising, I bet they still go for $150 in the winter time even.