Hole Saw Longevity

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I'm using a JD Squared Notch Master with a 1.75" Morse hole saw to notch 1.5" and 1.75" .120 wall DOM (with lube). I didn't keep track of how many notches I made, but I don't think it was more than 6-8 and it lost it's bite. Premature death? I was curious how many notches I should expect to get out of each hole saw, and which hole saws you have had the most luck with.

Any tips on extending hole saw longevity?

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I am using the same notcher as you are, and ususally use hole saws I get at the local hardware store (not sure what brand). I can build an entire cage with one saw, just use plenty of WD-40 when I'm cutting.

Bobzilla

I'm using a JD Squared Notch Master with a 1.75" Morse hole saw to notch 1.5" and 1.75" .120 wall DOM (with lube). I didn't keep track of how many notches I made, but I don't think it was more than 6-8 and it lost it's bite. Premature death? I was curious how many notches I should expect to get out of each hole saw, and which hole saws you have had the most luck with.

Any tips on extending hole saw longevity?

To prolong the bit and cutting teeth I use a good quality high temp automotive bearing grease, the thicker the material the more you need stop & let the cutter cool and regrease and go again.

I got a cheap set I got from a steel company in town but it seems to work real good if you let it cool for a minute or so while you regrease the tool.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I only used 2-3 during my whole buggy, I just made sure to use the pb blaster or other cutting oil

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have the same notcher. I'm on my second holesaw currently... I would be on the first but I accidentally jammed it on an interesting notch and broke some teeth out of it. I've lost count of how many notches I'm into my chassis.

Use oil and a slow - medium speed.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Thanks for the input guys :cool: its good to know that I can expect more life out of my hole saws :rofl:

Use oil and a slow - medium speed.

I suspect that my drill speed may have been the problem. I'm using a 1/2" variable speed that is a little touchy and I may be using too much speed

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Just a thought on spray lubricants & cleaners, always be cautious on breathing in the fumes and vapor that come from any products,

I'm always sure to breath in deep, espeically while smoking and using large amounts of flammable cutting oil

Mug

PHORmerly
Other signs of too much speed: Cutting oil starts to smoke, bluish colored chips (metal discolors at around 600F), Hole saw too hot to touch after cutting, Cutting requires excessive pressure.

Some drills from Milwaukee or Bosch will have a little dial on the trigger to set the speed to a slower one.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I use these kind - carbide tipped hole saw:
13600340_1.jpg

(I buy them locally, they just had a picture to use:))
A little more money, but they are much faster, longer lasting, quieter and take way less force. I the 1-1/4" version to cut up all of my bumpers for the hinge pin. It cuts so easily, you could actually do it without having the work clamped. The holes are also really clean after your done.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've been using the same 1.75" bi-metal hole saw for years on the same Harbor Freight notcher. I use cutting oil on every notch. I would estimate that it's lasted for hundreds of notches.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I use a Milwakee brand hole saw at medium speed with soapy water in a spray bottle(dish soup and water) and spray the whole time I am cutting.. its cleaner and my whole saw has lasted through two roll cages.

TEAM FRED

I use a Milwakee brand hole saw at medium speed with soapy water in a spray bottle(dish soup and water) and spray the whole time I am cutting.. its cleaner and my whole saw has lasted through two roll cages.

This sounds like the way to go.
No oil to contaminate your welds.

I cut mine dry and still get around 100 notches.
Ridgid and Lennox saws

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Another quick tip - after cutting with oil, spray on some mineral spirits and wipe clean. Nice non-contaminated welds. :cool:

Edit - I'm going to have to try the water/soap method. Interesting!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have also used the soapy water thing. I stopped using it when my drill platform started rusting. Nice way to keep things cool, just helps the rust.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
and dishsoap smells good...LOL.

yes the soapy water creates surface rust on drill platform, also metal shavings left behind get rusty, I recommend cleaning it all up when finished wiping down platform and hitting platform with some wd40.