Home built trailer questions

redrussell

Ok so I was given 6 20' sticks of 6" channel. How heavy of a trailer can I build with this? I have a set of 6,000lb ea brakes axles I can get my hands on as well. I also have 3 sheets of 8'x8' 13x64 plate I was thinking of using for decking since I tear my wood deck up all the time on my 16' trailer all the time. I am thinking a 20' flat deck and then a 4'-6' dovetail. No tilt bed or anything crazy. Thinking of it being a deck over or low profile drive over fenders. Let's get this debate going so I can be edgeamacated on this. Maybe if licensing a title problems for certain sizes and weights is an issue throw it in. I currently can do it in Utah or Idaho so if o e state is easier let me know.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Save your reciepts for all you bought. So you can prove you already paid taxes on materials when you go to register it. My boss went through this big hassle when he registered his flatbed years later. They wanted to charge sales tax for something he built.

Toad

Idaho does 10 year registration on utility trailers. My PJ has 5200lb axles under it with 6 inch channel frame. Most 14k trailers are 6 inch channel. That would be just fine with your 6k axles.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
If my calcs are correct, just the deck would weigh 1600 pounds using 13/64 sheet.

20' deck+4' tail x 8.5'= 204 square feet*8.125 pounds

I think you would want to use expanded steel only where you'll be driving.

redrussell

Yeah I'm doing the math on that too and it is heavy, no doubt on that. I also thought about doing steel on the tail(where most of the damage I do happens) and wood deck on the front. Doing that though I have to make sure I keep it tongue heavy so it isn't swinging empty. That or wood over the axles so I can pull it up when servicing and inspecting the axles. The deck weight has been something we have been thinking about though. We did the math and deck, frame, tongue and the fixed equipment would put it a little over 3,000lbs(assuming I don't go retard on the cross bracing etc) and would only allow a little less than 9k load at max. Since what my build goal is to tow my modded CJ(approx. 5,000) and then my buddies Ramcharger that would put us over weight probably.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I have never seen a steel deck trailer that stays looking good over time. They are always bent, collecting water, rusted, etc. I would do wood for sure.