Home inspector recommendation?

Caleb

I'm looking for a home inspector to do an inspection on a cabin down in Sanpete county (just outside Mt. Pleasant) for me. I'd like them to be familiar with solar, propane, generator power, and septic tanks. Anyone have any recommendations?

Rock Taco

Real estate home inspectors for the most part are useless as they are not required to be certified. My suggestion is to find a city or county inspector or a contractor you trust.

Caleb

Yeah, I realize that. That's why I was looking for recommendations. I trust most contractors about as much as I trust politicians. I've looked it over (obviously) and I'm fairly confident in my knowledge, but would like to get a second opinion.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Real estate home inspectors for the most part are useless as they are not required to be certified. My suggestion is to find a city or county inspector or a contractor you trust.

This isn't even close to accurate. It is true that they are not required to be certified, but like any other business owner who wants to grow a business and get more clients and less law suites, there are some VERY good inspectors out there.

You will get what you pay for. A good inspection/inspector will have a infrared water leak camera to test behind the walls. You probably don't need a radon test or meth test.. I have had both good and bad inspectors.. and found one that I absolutely LOVED.. but I lost his info, sorry :(

A contractor isn't going to be a good option. They higher people to build things.. they do not check in the wall leaks, under ground pipes, etc.

Rock Taco

This isn't even close to accurate. It is true that they are not required to be certified, but like any other business owner who wants to grow a business and get more clients and less law suites, there are some VERY good inspectors out there.

You will get what you pay for. A good inspection/inspector will have a infrared water leak camera to test behind the walls. You probably don't need a radon test or meth test.. I have had both good and bad inspectors.. and found one that I absolutely LOVED.. but I lost his info, sorry :(

A contractor isn't going to be a good option. They higher people to build things.. they do not check in the wall leaks, under ground pipes, etc.

How is it not close to accurate? You basically said the same as me.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I wish I still had the contact info for the guy that did our inspection, he was retired from owning a plumbing and HVAC company and did a really thorough job. The big stuff will usually be pretty obvious, the guys who have actually worked in the field before they became an inspector will usually know the more hidden issues. So as you call around ask what they were doing before they became an inspector.