Home windows

We just used these guys to replace some old windows. There was no pressure and great prices got our 47 x 35 for a little under $300 each installed. Compared to the Home Depot jerk that quoted me $1500 for 2 windows, was a A**hole & wouldn't leave.
Joe Winnett A Classy Glass
39 W Truman Ave
SLC UTAH 84115
801-906-8458

That's what I do for a living. If you want to send me some sizes I can shoot you a price. Truthfully they're not too hard to install so if you want some pointers I could show you how and you could try a few yourself. If you can build a jeep you can definitely replace some windows.

-Chris

MattL

Thanks for the suggestions. Chris, I know they aren't really hard to install. I wanted better quality than Jeld wen windows but I also dont want to be on the corner looking for financial handouts paying for the new windows. Id take suggestions on what to look out for as well. Ill get you some sizes later today. Thanks for the replies.

SnwMnkys

I get my windows through Abco glass in Lindon for my propertys. Ive ordered about 40 through him now. He gets me Cascade brand windows, but he can get other brands. I measure for what I need, inform him of what options i want (Low-E, slider/casement/etc, flush fin, color), pick them up and install them all myself. He says he only marks them up a few dollars since he doesnt have to do anything other than order them. But if i mess up on a measurement. I have to eat it.

My also have a buddy who installs for Jones Paint and Glass if you need an installer.

camicaztoy

We did Windows in our house a couple years ago. Unfortunately the installer is no longer in business, they did a great job, but the windows are allside brand. Very very happy with the product. Cut our energy bills, especially gas by about 30%

MattL

We did Windows in our house a couple years ago. Unfortunately the installer is no longer in business, they did a great job, but the windows are allside brand. Very very happy with the product. Cut our energy bills, especially gas by about 30%

Thanks ill look to them for service.

Advanced is a good decision if you have a bunch of extra money lying around you just want to get rid of. To be honest with you Jeld Wen is a decent product...truthfully most of the vinyl products are very comperable as far as quality goes. There is some variation but for the most part they're on pretty even playing fields. If you want to spend more money you can get more bells and whistles such as little security locks and argon filled glass.

When you're comparing the products to each other they will all tout better insulation values, tripple weather stripping etc. However the best way to compare just how effective those things are is the insulation values given to the windows by the NFRC. You'll want to look at SHGC (Solar-heat-gain-coeffient). Think of this as heat gained as a result of sunlight. U-value. Think of this as heat gained or lost not as a result of sunlight such as heat loss at night or heat gain during the day but shaded. ....and air infiltration cooefficient.

So basically the manufacturer can put as many weatherstrippings as they want on a window if it has the same air infiltration ratings as a cheaper window it's not doing any good and isn't worth any extra cost. ....or they can tout whatever super spacer or Low E super glass etc... if it doesn't show any better U-values or SHGC ratings it isn't performing any better than the competition.

Also keep in mind that your windows are probably only accounting for 15% of your total insulation value of your home so if argon gas is improving the insualation value of the windows by 2% then it will only improve your home by say 1% over all....Think about those things before a salesman talks you in to spending an extra $300 on argon gas etc...

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I have a guy that does them, I don't use him for windows right now but I want to on a subdivision we have going in soon, right now he just does my roofs but he does a really good job on everything he does. If you want to have him bid you let me know and Ill get you his contact info and I will tell him to give you my pricing.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Id like to hear about the problems associated to this.

We had gotten a handful of bids for every window in our house with the exception of the garage. When it came down to it, we went with Advanced as they had the best product for the price. The day of the install, I had to work. My mother came to watch the house while they installed. The installers showed up and were complete assholes to my mother because "Your son and daughter in law were supposed to take all the blinds down!" My mother calls me upset, I tell them to take their windows and shove them up their rear end, and to leave. The sales guy calls me and apologizes, tells me it was his fault he didn't tell us that we were expected to remove the blinds.

My mom, being the kind woman she is goes downstairs to take the blinds down on the 3 windows down there. Once again, the guys were ass hats, and said, "There aren't any windows for down there!"

Basically, their bid was the best because it didn't include all of the windows. I watched the guy measure each downstairs window, and we even discussed wether or not I wanted an exterior trim piece to cover the outer seams.

Of course, they offered me windows 'at cost' for the 3 downstairs after I called and blew a gasket. (If you know me, I am very even tempered and it takes a LOT to ruffle my feathers). I told them they needed to do them for free, not only for the installers being asses, but for their bogus bid.

I went with another company for the last 3 windows.

With the new windows and having about $300 of insulation blown into my attic and above my garage I saw an average of 28-34% lower heating and cooling costs.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Advanced is a good decision if you have a bunch of extra money lying around you just want to get rid of. To be honest with you Jeld Wen is a decent product...truthfully most of the vinyl products are very comperable as far as quality goes. There is some variation but for the most part they're on pretty even playing fields. If you want to spend more money you can get more bells and whistles such as little security locks and argon filled glass.

When you're comparing the products to each other they will all tout better insulation values, tripple weather stripping etc. However the best way to compare just how effective those things are is the insulation values given to the windows by the NFRC. You'll want to look at SHGC (Solar-heat-gain-coeffient). Think of this as heat gained as a result of sunlight. U-value. Think of this as heat gained or lost not as a result of sunlight such as heat loss at night or heat gain during the day but shaded. ....and air infiltration cooefficient.

So basically the manufacturer can put as many weatherstrippings as they want on a window if it has the same air infiltration ratings as a cheaper window it's not doing any good and isn't worth any extra cost. ....or they can tout whatever super spacer or Low E super glass etc... if it doesn't show any better U-values or SHGC ratings it isn't performing any better than the competition.

Also keep in mind that your windows are probably only accounting for 15% of your total insulation value of your home so if argon gas is improving the insualation value of the windows by 2% then it will only improve your home by say 1% over all....Think about those things before a salesman talks you in to spending an extra $300 on argon gas etc...

yep, Im an Amsco dealer, but I dont do work that far north, I've been dealing with Amsco(and others) since 1989 and feel that they are the best value per/$. I'm not one to push argon gas, although it makes for better meter readings, I believe it disapates after a few year and not really worth the additional cost.