Honda Accord + Toyota 4runner = No Bueno

ttora4runner

Been debating whether to post this up or not but I decided to go ahead and post this.

About two weeks before I was to head back to Colorado to start another construction project a new driver (16 year old girl) panic when at a stop light suddenly changed. Instead of just going on though she slammed on her brakes and not having enough time to stop I slammed into the back of her going about 35-40 mphs (she left skid marks from her stopping and I left skid marks from trying to stop). I ended up pushing her vehicle completely though the intersection and I just came to a stop right at the light (luckly no one had started to go from the opposite lanes yet). All I could think of was 'Oh, Crap' up till the time I hit her then a slew of colorful language followed.

After the light changed again I continued on though and pulled up behind her along the side of the road. We both get out of our vehicles unharmed though she was pretty shook up and apologetic for stopping like she did. I was just glad she was ok. I ended up calling the police since she really didn't know what to do in an accident instead she called her parents (probable a good thing). We probable waited about 30 minutes for the police to show up so we could make the accident report (her parents show up in the mean time, nice people).
After making the reports and exchanging information we both headed out.

She wound up being sore for about a week (according to my insurance claims agent saw a doctor a few times)and I wound up with a ticket and 60 points on my license (I was fine).

Photo's of her vehicle and my 4runner:

Her car - 2000 Honda Accord

Her car was still drivable despite the damage, though it was ultimately totaled out.

My 4runner

I took minimal damage. The driving lights got pushed up into the grill breaking both, slightly bent the front lower part of the passenger side fender (that small piece under the headlight) and bent the front edge of my hood. The Shrockworks bumper did it's job just scuffed up the powder coat on the passenger side (no worse than rock wear you might get on the trail) and bud built skid probable saved my undercarriage some since it receive some scuff marks as well.

So a couple words of advice to everyone on this board

1. 'Slow down and don't follow too closely to the person ahead of you cause you never know what they are going to do'. If you rear end someone despite what the other driver does you'll be the one ending up with the ticket cause you hit them (I've read that there are some circumstances where the other can be proven at fault but you have to have pretty good evidence).

2. If you see and accident pull the crap over and make sure that everyone is okay and make a call into the police. Not one single person who saw the accident stop to check to make sure we were okay.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Glad you both are ok.

Last winter I watched a girl behind me spin out on a ramp. I had to head down a ways before it was safe to pull over, and it took a couple minutes for me to hoof it back up and check on her. Found her car pointing backwards, half in a lane of traffic, and her in the seat still bleeding from the head due to the guardrail impact and half in shock, and cars just driving around her like she wasn't even there. People are jerks.

STAG

On my grind
I watched a video on TV of a car that had hit a motorcycle and burst into flames. The motorcycle guy was pinned under the car, knocked out cold.

dozens of passerby cars just drove right by the accident, barely making any effort to even swerve out of the way.

It took several minutes to round up enough people willing to help; who eventually ended up being able to lift the car (like 15 people) and pull the motorcyclist out from under the car.