How a train stays on the tracks?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One more thing....the train doesn't always move toward the outside of the turn like he says. Unless it's going downhill, it will push toward the inside rail, due to the tension between all the cars. Imagine pulling a curved string....it turns into a straight line.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
....and another thing, most trainmen carry a flange gauge. I think there might even be one printed in the S.S.I. that can used as reference to gauge wheel flanges. If a flange looks questionable, or flat out not within tolerance, the car is "bad-ordered" and set out at the first available point it can be done. Movement can be made probably not exceeding 10 mph.

Don't quote me because it's been a long time since I've been a trainman, but if I remember I'll look it up as I'm heading to Winnemucca, NV. tonight.

bobmed

- - - -
Here's a picture from the 20's that shows on the side of the Space trains how long it takes to get to the planets.:D

spacetrain.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
He's right... explains it perfectly, at least the theory.

Not all wheels are cone shaped enough that you can see, but they're supposed to be. Use and wear will flatten them out. Same thing with rail, it wears, flattens and at times doesn't maintain the profile that assists that transfer. Machine shops can rebuild the wheels once it gets worn out, by welding up, them machining down the surface and restoring that tapered wheel.

We have a grinding train that comes to each territory in a year and re-shapes the rail to the profile that it's supposed to be. It helps the rail in the curves last longer and assist that process as explained in the video. The grinding train is a massive, dusty, spark-creating mess that sets fires as it works. I was on the grinding train this Spring, working nights so we could see the fires easier. They actually have infrared cameras onboard, to find hot spots.

Curves wear much faster than tangent (straight) track. I should pull up a photo of some well worn curve worn rail, it would probably scare the hell out of the guys that operate the trains to see what those curves can look like once the ball (top) of the rail gets worn down.

There are actually 'greasers' or lubricators installed into curves that are VERY important to keep the rail and train wheels from wearing and to prevent the wheels from climbing the rail and derailing the train. They're messy and require a lot of maintenance, but save lots of money when they're working. There was actually a derailment on the neighboring section of track here in Colorado that was caused by the lack of grease in curved track a couple years ago.

Here's one more small mind-bender for ya.... rails are NOT laid straight up and down. There's a small cant, tipping the rails inward, towards each other, which helps prevent the rail from rolling out under the load of a train. :)

Greg

Admin
why has greg not piped in yet? is he out there laying on the ground laughing his guts out? GREG where art thou?

I was out working in the field, trying to keep my machine from derailing on a curve, not sitting in an office surfing the web, like most people. ;)

Greg

Admin
One more thing....the train doesn't always move toward the outside of the turn like he says. Unless it's going downhill, it will push toward the inside rail, due to the tension between all the cars. Imagine pulling a curved string....it turns into a straight line.

Yep, the rail on the low side of a curve will see much more wear and tear compared to the high side of the curve. So does that actually mean that the whole taper/differential isn't working, and that the rail wear is due to the inside wheel is actually 'spinning' on the track? I don't know... :D

Greg

Admin
I think you can see the taper on the wheel in this photo.

675488176_3NxoX-M.jpg

Don't mind the fact that this wheel has a flat spot and was what caused a multi-million dollar derailment. :p

Greg

Admin
Here's some decent videos showing a grinding train at work... maintaining the rail.

[YOUTUBE]6pAfMlr4Pko[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]12CAFX2O95c[/YOUTUBE]

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Dammit.. I'm gullable once again..

You abandoned too early :p

I knew it had to be true, otherwise it wouldn't be on youtube :)

Those grinding trains are cool! Is UP held financially responsible for any forest fires it starts?

Greg

Admin
... Those grinding trains are cool! Is UP held financially responsible for any forest fires it starts?

Yeah, we have very strict rules governing when we can grind, to keep the risk of fire down. We also have to fill out a fire risk assessment, taking into account wind speed, humidity level, current local fire danger level, etc. If it's too high, the grinding train doesn't run.

The grinding train I was on this Spring had a hy-rail water truck that followed behind by a half mile. It was equipped with a big tank of fire-retarding foam that sprayed out of a huge hose. The truck had the infrared cameras on it.

In addition to all that, we usually have guys going over the track a couple hours after the grinding train is done, to make sure any 'smokers' are put out.

We had a grinding train that was scheduled to operate thru a very dry canyon in Southern California mid-Summer. The local fire chief wouldn't allow UP to run the grinding train, so it had to be rescheduled for the Winter. I'm not sure who thought they could run a grinding train in So Cal in mid-summer... that would have been BAD.

Link to an article about a couple fires that UP was responsible for...

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...llion-to-settle-2008-rich-fire_100413351.html

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So how do those rail grinders work? Do they have big grinding stones underneath, or is it like a sanding belt, or what? :confused:

Greg

Admin
So how do those rail grinders work? Do they have big grinding stones underneath, or is it like a sanding belt, or what? :confused:

Yes, there are many 12"(?) round grinding stones that are each grinding at a specific angle, to re-shape the rail. They go thru grinding stones pretty quick, as you can imagine.

The grinding trains leave behind some crazy looking slag, metal shavings build up then fall off.

Greg

Admin
Greg, did you hear about the jet snow blower in SLC that went over the derail at 2nd south and took out the signal mast last Monday night? :rofl:

I didn't, but I'm sure we'll hear about it soon!

I work with a guy that's a bit dingy... his truck was on the track, he left his boom out, then took off down the track... taking out the next signal mast he came to. :eek: I hate working around him.... :ugh:

jp008

I don't think my grinding shoes will take care of that. That's got to be a good 5 inches......Ummmm FRA will frown on that.

I think you can see the taper on the wheel in this photo.

675488176_3NxoX-M.jpg

Don't mind the fact that this wheel has a flat spot and was what caused a multi-million dollar derailment. :p

jp008

We have one of those in our Provo yard....kinda scary. I'm glad I'm mechanical and he is section.

I didn't, but I'm sure we'll hear about it soon!

I work with a guy that's a bit dingy... his truck was on the track, he left his boom out, then took off down the track... taking out the next signal mast he came to. :eek: I hate working around him.... :ugh: