How about a quota: "prevent/solve one violent crime per week"?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I don't see the problem. Are you indicating that a quota of one ticket a day is excessive? You could do that in mud-flap tickets alone in most of Utah... :spork:

in orem i see people that need tickets, people that speed up and down my road every day.. or people that run the red light on the corner by my house.. i can under stand the 1 ticket a week.. they can get that quota easy! the people that need tickets are the ones that the light goes red and they are the 5th car to run the red light just cause they dont wanna wait

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
OK.. I can see solve.. but prevent a Violent crime? seriously take a step back and think of what it would take to prevent any and all violent crimes.. is that the society you want to live in?
Solve on the other hand I can see -- to a point

also how would you propose to measure the prevention of a violent crime?

Last edited:

Ogre Palowakski

OK.. I can see solve.. but prevent a Violent crime? seriously take a step back and think of what it would take to prevent any and all violent crimes.. is that the society you want to live in?
Solve on the other hand I can see -- to a point

also how would you propose to measure the prevention of a violent crime?

I'd measure it by a decrease in violent crime :rofl:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
There was never a violent crime to begin with, if it was prevented. Right.

Prevent a crime?

It's been decided in court that LEO's are not responsible for your safety. The police themselves encourage this misunderstanding with slogans like "Protect and Serve", but we should all realize that what police really do is "Investigate and Arrest". Their real job begins AFTER a crime is committed. Of course, most police officers are good guys/gals and if there's a way they can "Protect and Serve" without neglecting their real job, they'll do it. But their real focus is identifying, investigating and arresting offenders, on the theory that locking these people up will keep crime down.

The reality is that it's simply impractical to have a police force that is capable of protecting us. And it's unnecessary. People need to accept that the world is not a safe place, cannot be made a safe place, and that the only person ultimately responsible for keeping you safe is you.

:)

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I'd measure it by a decrease in violent crime :rofl:

But does that prove that the police caused the decrease in violent crime or is there some other factor that caused the decrease.. I don't want to give a raise to a cop for getting rid of violent crimes when it could possibly be that they had nothing to do with it and it was all because more private citizens began carrying weapons or that pot prices fell leading more people to be high and harmless :)

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
If all the police solved one crime a day they would fall behind in solving all the crimes committed. Stupid statistic.

ID Bronco

There was never a violent crime to begin with, if it was prevented. Right.

Prevent a crime?

It's been decided in court that LEO's are not responsible for your safety. The police themselves encourage this misunderstanding with slogans like "Protect and Serve", but we should all realize that what police really do is "Investigate and Arrest". Their real job begins AFTER a crime is committed. Of course, most police officers are good guys/gals and if there's a way they can "Protect and Serve" without neglecting their real job, they'll do it. But their real focus is identifying, investigating and arresting offenders, on the theory that locking these people up will keep crime down.

The reality is that it's simply impractical to have a police force that is capable of protecting us. And it's unnecessary. People need to accept that the world is not a safe place, cannot be made a safe place, and that the only person ultimately responsible for keeping you safe is you.

:)

I believe in self preservation and personal responsibility but I do think police presence can deter criminal activity at least at that time, in that location. Patrolmen are not out investigating crimes as someone else stated. That is what detectives do. Patrol cops go to accidents, check on domestic violence calls, and stuff like that. In their travels they can observe and deter some illegal activity.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
There are a crap load of awesome cops in this state(I've had my fair share of run
ins..) it's just too bad that like any occupation there is good employees and there are crappy employees. It's REALLY too bad that often times the bad make more of an impession on people than the good. One ticket a week is barely a quota, and doesn't bother me at all. any cop with his eyes open will surely be able to find one deserving citizen a week who really does need a ticket, I see about 10 a day. With that being said I've seen some pretty wack tickets given out... But I've also had cops look the other way on stuff that has blown my mind!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
My gf is a dispatcher for SLCPD and she told me that the afternoon shift is so busy responding to calls that they usually don't have the time to stop and write a ticket... the calls usually are backed up waiting for an officer to clear one scene to go to another.... so we can see a cop on that shift that hasn't written a ticket for years... and as I see it its not about the revenue its about a way to stop people from doing the stupid stuff we all see everyday going on.

I think this is a good Idea and should deter some minor crap just because now people know that they have to write one a week they might just think before they do something dumb....

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Patrolmen are not out investigating crimes as someone else stated. That is what detectives do. Patrol cops go to accidents, check on domestic violence calls, and stuff like that. In their travels they can observe and deter some illegal activity.

Yes Patrolmen do investigate. I investigated runaways, child abuses, vehicle thefts, vehicle burglaries, and hit & runs (it was an arrest I made while doing followup/investigation on a hit & run that got me fired, it would have been nice to be able to turn THAT one over to a Detective). While it may be true that it is not a Patrolman's MAIN responsibility to follow up/investigate, they still investigate.

sixstringsteve

I would LOVE to see more cops giving tickets for traffic violations. I see so many stopsigns run, red lights run, solid white lines crossed every 10 seconds, etc. every day.

In some parts of the state, I don't feel safe on the road because of the number of traffic violations I see. If I can't expect someone to stop at a stop sign or red light, then it affects my safety, and that bothers me. I just got back from a road trip from northern CA, and I've gotta say, I didn't see a single traffic violation in my entire trip. And I felt safer, and my anxiety and frustration were far lower. Same thing happened in Denver last year when I visited.

Unfortunately, most tickets are for speeding slightly over the limit, when red lights and stop signs, and left turns after reds are far more dangerous than speeding 5-10mph over.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I would LOVE to see more cops giving tickets for traffic violations. I see so many stopsigns run, red lights run, solid white lines crossed every 10 seconds, etc. every day.

In some parts of the state, I don't feel safe on the road because of the number of traffic violations I see. If I can't expect someone to stop at a stop sign or red light, then it affects my safety, and that bothers me. I just got back from a road trip from northern CA, and I've gotta say, I didn't see a single traffic violation in my entire trip. And I felt safer, and my anxiety and frustration were far lower. Same thing happened in Denver last year when I visited.

Unfortunately, most tickets are for speeding slightly over the limit, when red lights and stop signs, and left turns after reds are far more dangerous than speeding 5-10mph over.

Even scarier is when I see "officers" running lights and stop signs just to get to the 7-11!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob

Honestly, think about it though, Have you ever really been pulled over for doing 5-10 over the limit? I pass cops all the time doing 70-75, and every cop I've ever talked to says they only give tickets to the guys going 10+ over. However, most of them write the ticket for "5 over" because 10 or below puts you in a cheaper bracket of ticket and helps you out. 5-10 over not dangerous but it has been proven that car accedents are FAR worse at 80 mph compared to 70

sixstringsteve

I haven't been pulled over since I was 16 (They thought I was too young to drive.) But I know a LOT of people who've been pulled over for 5 over. I didn't have the radar gun, so they might have been going 10 over, but I'd love to see the statistics for accidents/injuries caused by speeding vs running stop signs/red lights.