How do I flatten this skid plate section

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
20211017_235623.jpg
I recently bought this never mounted JK front bumper, despite the branding, it is a Poison Spyder Brawler full width bumper. I intend to put it on my ZJ, and it was too wide.

20211106_154505.jpg
So I cut it down. For the $100 I paid, including the skid plate, it didn't really "hurt" to cut into the shiny new bumper.

20211029_175415.jpg
I clamped the bumper and skid plate in place to see how it all looked before I finished cutting the ends down.

20211029_175538.jpg
I need to raise the bumper a good inch and a half. But needs some trimming of the factory crossmember to happen. I like that the bottom of the skid plate could give a smooth transition for an additional skid plate to protect the bottom of the radiator support, and maybe blend into the factory skid plate behind that. (not pictured, but I have it.) But you can see the section that is bent down, then flat then back up again. That matches JKs, but not my ZJ.

20211211_164306.jpg
Other than cutting it off completely and starting from scratch, how can I flatten this section out to match the bottom of the plate?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Do you have a propane weed burner? Heat it up and using a sledgehammer and something solid start working the unwanted bends out.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I do not have a weed burner or a big sledge hammer, nor patience or a strong back or blacksmith's arm (torn right bicep that has retracted).

I had considered just that partial cutting, flattening, and laying a bead. I will need to add a small amount to the driver's side once flattened. And fab some braces for the radiator support.

The metal is 3/16" and about 18" wide...

NYCEGUY01

It looks like you have enough clearance you could just cut it off right at the bumper anf then flip it over and weld that part back on with the bent part going upwards ...

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
It looks like you have enough clearance you could just cut it off right at the bumper anf then flip it over and weld that part back on with the bent part going upwards ...
I hadn't considered that. Unsure if that would create an edge that could hang me up. But I will look into it.