how do I take apart a samarui rear axle?

XJjunker

Ok I've got the tires off, the diff drained,the four nuts off the end of the shafts the brake covers off of the drumbs. The third member is loose, but it feels like the shafts are holding it in, but I cant get the stupid shafts out. So I'm just stuck. Any ideas?

str8axleguy

You need to remove the axle shafts completely before the third member can come out, if you have the nuts off and the drums off just pull the axles out a little ways, if not use a slide hammer on the drums across the four bolts and it should come right out

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I had to beat the sh!t outta mine when I parted them out to get the wheelbearings to come loose in the housing ends.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
It takes time and a BFH. Or you could use a chain and put a link through the bolt, and hold it tight with a lug nut and whip the chain. That will work if you don't have a slide hammer.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
You say you got the four nuts off the end of the shafts...are you talking about the four nuts that hold the backing plates to the end of the axle housing??

You have to take those four 12mm nuts off the back of the brake backing plate and the whole backing plate comes off with the axles.

axle-shaft-short-side.jpg

on the right is what it will look like when you get the axle shaft out, you can see the little studs coming off the back of the backing plate. Take those 4 nuts off the back and then stand bashing on the back of the backing plate with a dead blow hammer and it will eventually come out.

The sucky part is that it never gets easier the more times you take it apart.

Samcan

The easy way to to use a slide hammer. If you have a slide hammer with hooks, just hook over the square four bolt axle flange. A couple of hits with the slide hammer and it will pop out.