How do you tell one mig welder from the other?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I already have a buzz box, so I don't see me using the mig to build a bumper or whatever. I want it for the body work and little dinky things that go with fabbin. I have heard alot about the mig being a better looking weld, what truth is there to this? I also am curios about strenght issues. I know with a mig that you can get strong welds, but is it eisier to just arc it for the penatraition?

sukaB

Banned
PENETRATION.......
HEHEHEHEHE

AHAAHAHAHAHA

WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW.........TOY BOY

OR SHOULD THAT BE BOY TOY YOU HIPPIE

Caleb

really it depends on what you are comfortable with...IF you know how to weld properly with an Arc then the arc gets way better penetration comparatively speaking...arc also has a lot higher duty cycle...for body work they are damn near impossible to use...everything else, I prefer an arc to a mig...if all you want it for is body work then why do you want a 220V??? a 110 is more than enough to do body work with...but 220V is very nice to have...

also if you dont know duty cycle is in 10 minute intervals...so if it has a 20% duty cycle then you can weld t full power for 2 minutes out of every 10...also when you hit the duty cycle it doesn;t necesarily just quit working...usually it will start to weld ****ty and you'll wonder WTF:D:D:D If it shuts off then you probably have tzxed your machine past its limits...

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
hey B I know how to get myself in deep it's the getting out thats hard....

I've only used a crappy 110 mig, maybee thats the problem? Why would one be worce that the other?

sukaB

Banned
Caleb you da man....
When you gettin that tube...
Do you have a trailer?
Caleb you know how to tig?
Ive done it a couple fo times but would like to learn and Kevin is the only one i know around here but he's always gone

Sky My buddie runs across used biggens every so often and he can hook you up for around that price for a biggun....
They weld so sweet.......

Caleb

Originally posted by sukaB
Caleb you da man....
When you gettin that tube...
Do you have a trailer?
Caleb you know how to tig?
Ive done it a couple fo times but would like to learn and Kevin is the only one i know around here but he's always gone

Sky My buddie runs across used biggens every so often and he can hook you up for around that price for a biggun....
They weld so sweet.......

I just Pmed ya about hte tube...I'll be by on Saturday if that works...around noon...let me know if it doesn;t...I have only tigged a little, we have a tig at my work and I'm gonna start spending A LOT more time on it...thats gonna be my next equipment purchase (tig machine:D)

Sky the best deal is gonna be a used unit...like suka said, you can get more for your money...

sukaB

Banned
Can I come to work with you.......

I'll be good just tell them it's a job shadow and I'm from the college and you are showing me what you do at work...
Your not in garbage truck maintenance or porto john fixin company are you...

Hehehehe
just palyin playa
I'm not sure if I'll be here on Sat....Not sure yet....

Caleb

Actually I am a fisherman:p(seriously)...during the off season (Feb-Oct) we rebuild the boats(very large aluminum boats mostly)...this year is gonna be a busy year...and I am their main welder (really the only one that knows much about welding)...I have free use of the equipment there but usually my junk is not in a position I could haul it there...once I get a better feel for the tig machine we can use it whenever...:D

are you gonna be gone the whole weekend or just saturday...I could also come by friday if that will work better, I have fridays off...let me know what will work best for you...thanks

sukaB

Banned
sweet I love fishin....
Someone take me fly fishin on some good rivers and I also have a float tube and have been fishing my whole life....
Tig weld would be sweet over here....
That's about all we need....

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
throw me a line on a good used mack daddy. Then I can do the pro's work :) I want the best but can afford sheit. I'm broke as a joke....

sukaB

Banned
I'll put the word out......
Lotta stuff surfacing because of the hard times and drug use...
Stay off drugs kids.........:eek: