How does the JK rate?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
When we went to Moab in October, we left my baby at home so there were 4 of us. I had to use my receiver rack to get all the camping gear into the Jeep for the trip. If you pack like you are going backpacking, 4 people's gear isn't a problem. Typical car camping (or if you take too much like me), you run out of space.

My JK isn't my favorite Jeep I have owned, but it IS the most comfortable. It has handled everything I have thrown at it, and performed surprisingly well. When it is just me and my sons camping, I can fold part of the back seat down, and have plenty of space inside for everything we need to take.

ewander

I have an 08 Rubicon Unlimited with 37s, 6 speed, 5.13s, a prorock 44 front, and a teraflex 4 inch lift. I have owned a few other jeeps in the past. This jeep is by far the most reliable, comfortable, and best wheeler of the bunch. I did replace both drivelines also with standards....

I have 4 kids, so I am looking into a third row seat for it right now. It has been a blast. The 3.8 doesn't have a ton of power, but it actually does better on the highway than my 4.0 did with 4.56 gears and 35s, so I guess it is relative. It is lacking a little low end torque, but with the super low gears it doesn't really matter that much. I thought it would be a bit big on the trails, but it has ended up surprising me every time. It has a really good steering ratio. If I had an automatic, I would have done 5.38 gears vs. the 5.13s.

I have thought about the RIPP supercharger because I feel the need for speed, but haven't done it yet. The 3.8 has a higher RPM band than the 4.0, so if driven that way it does okay. Even with 37s, a heavy right foot, and a 6,000+ pound rig, it gets better mileage than my old YJ, Cherokee, or my brother's TJs....I average 15.5 around town.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Hopped on the bandwagon today. It's the closest thing to a minivan Kami would drive.

Attachments

• rubi.jpg
    rubi.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 22

xtremexj

We have only wheeled my wife's JKU on a couple of minor trails but I have been very impressed with the performance. It's amazing how helpful the factory traction control is even without lockers. It's definetly nice having four doors and like people have said, there is a ton of room with the back seats folded down so you can even sleep in it if need be. 3.8L is a gutless wonder but nothing a supercharger or V8 swap can't solve. :D