How many of you out there are going to get a dirt bike in the near future?

Cascadia

Undecided
I always hated having a jug of mixed gas with me or having to remember to bring the oil and my mixer. Do you want your honda back? It's still your avatar.

Edit...I guess I want my STI back cause it's still my avatar.

Caleb

:rofl: No, I've just been too lazy to update my avatar. It was a fantastic bike, but I don't think I'd own another unless Honda made some major changes (6 speed, fuel injected, etc). If (when?) I get another 4 stroke, I'll either get a bullet proof WR450 or a KTM.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Could you guys wrap up the 2 stroke talk? :p I had myself convinced a 4 stroke was the way to go..

Caleb

Could you guys wrap up the 2 stroke talk? :p I had myself convinced a 4 stroke was the way to go..

:rofl: There's pluses and minuses for each. If you don't plan on doing any long rides (need for gas along the way) then a good two stroke is tough to beat. I love my 300, but I'm really wanting to do some long rides. Having to carry oil to mix is a PITA. If you want to, I'd be happy to let you ride my 300. I think you'll have a hard time not falling in love with it. The maintenance (or lack of) on a two stroke is soooo nice. You just ride and enjoy yourself. Change the air filter and not worry about much else.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
:rofl: There's pluses and minuses for each. If you don't plan on doing any long rides (need for gas along the way) then a good two stroke is tough to beat. I love my 300, but I'm really wanting to do some long rides. Having to carry oil to mix is a PITA. If you want to, I'd be happy to let you ride my 300. I think you'll have a hard time not falling in love with it. The maintenance (or lack of) on a two stroke is soooo nice. You just ride and enjoy yourself. Change the air filter and not worry about much else.

The only real dirt bike I've owned was 2 stroke KDX, and I didn't mind it at all (mixing). The same month we brought our Jeep home from BHR the bottom end went out. I started tearing into it and found it needed a full new top end, and a new crank. It would have ended up being about a $400 rebuild. I read about 4 strokes with similar rebuilds looking at $1k+, if you do it yourself. I would love another 2 stroke. The problem seems be availability and price. KTM is the only one still making a decent one AFAIK. A 2007 200xc went up for sale last weekend for $3200 and was gone within hours.

You must have the KTM 300xc? I probably shouldn't ride it :eek: Even the cheapest one on KSL is more than I have "budgeted" for a new bike :rofl: 06 for $4k

Caleb

:D Yeah, I have a 2008 300xc. I wouldn't need to be too much above that 06 ;) Especially for an RME'r :greg: 2strokes have a reputation of having to be wound-up to have power, the 300 throws that out the door. Lots of people call the 300 a three stroke because you get the benefits of a two stroke (low maintenance, light weight, etc) mixed with the benefits of a four stroke (torquey power, power on-demand, etc).

EDIT: yes, rebuilds on 4 strokes can be very pricey...depending on what you replace and what you replace it with. That unknown cost is one thing that always scared me about my four stroke.

rholbrook

I just picked up a couple of CRF150Fs complete with headlights. I only needed one but I got a package deal and I have the second one sold already.

This means it is time to sell my sons 1997 XR100. I bought it this spring for him to learn how to use a clutch on and he has picked that up really fast. He is now ready for bigger and faster. We tried the CRF150R of Corbins but for where we ride its just too much bike or should I say not enough bottom end for trail ridding for him. This little XR just loves to lug way down low. Its a great little bike.

The GOOD
New front and rear tires
New chain and sprockets
New chain guide
All new brake cables
New clutch cable
New throttle cable
all new front and rear brakes
New Tusk Bark Busters
Runs great and starts on first kick.
Great beginner bike for kids
Honda, so it will run for ever.

The Bad
Plastic is old body style, can me updated if you want to.

I am putting it on KSL for $800 but will take $700

View attachment 76927View attachment 76928View attachment 76929View attachment 76930View attachment 76931
i Put a new seal around the kick started and so now the oil leak is a thing of the past

Bump for a great running little bike

rholbrook

Anyone coming north from St. George have room for a couple of CRF150Fs? Size wise they are a little bigger than a 80cc bike. I can help with gas and if you have room I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Russ
eight oh one 2zero1 5eightnine1

If you only have room for one I would appreciate it and would help with your gas

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
And what can we do to motivate you to get a dirt bike sooner? :D

Quite a few of us have bikes now, and I have a few friends who are on the fence. I figured we needed a thread where we could talk you into it.
Talk my wife into it. She works in the trauma department at IHC. If I came home with a road bike. I would be told to pack up and leave. She does not want me to be a statistic. There may be better luck with a dirt bike. :(

rholbrook

SOLD

I just picked up a couple of CRF150Fs complete with headlights. I only needed one but I got a package deal and I have the second one sold already.

This means it is time to sell my sons 1997 XR100. I bought it this spring for him to learn how to use a clutch on and he has picked that up really fast. He is now ready for bigger and faster. We tried the CRF150R of Corbins but for where we ride its just too much bike or should I say not enough bottom end for trail ridding for him. This little XR just loves to lug way down low. Its a great little bike.

The GOOD
New front and rear tires
New chain and sprockets
New chain guide
All new brake cables
New clutch cable
New throttle cable
all new front and rear brakes
New Tusk Bark Busters
Runs great and starts on first kick.
Great beginner bike for kids
Honda, so it will run for ever.

The Bad
Very very slow oil leak on on kick starter seal. Havent looked at it to determine what I need to do to fix it.
Plastic is old body style, can me updated if you want to.

I am putting it on KSL for $800 but will take $700

View attachment 76927View attachment 76928View attachment 76929View attachment 76930View attachment 76931

Cascadia

Undecided
Bringing this back if anyone is looking for a bike. I sold it a year and a half ago to someone in my in laws neighborhood. He wrote me tonight asking me what it's worth cause he wants to list it. It's a 2008 Ktm 250 xcfw with 2750 miles, recently new tires, Rekluse clutch, street legal. What should he be asking and any interest?