How nit-picky are you with contractors

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve been wondering about this for a while after having lots of concrete work done and now this. Our fence guys just got “done” and this is what I have to deal with. I know vinyl fences are not super nice and can often be a 50 foot fake-out but I’m pretty bugged by some of this because obviously I’m paying them enough to make a living out of it.

This is on the front, you know the curb appeal.
IMG_2929.jpeg
IMG_2930.jpeg
I know the gate sits weird which is to be expected but the posts are clearly NOT plumb with each other. That is irritating but this really bugs me:
IMG_2931.jpeg
IMG_2932.jpeg
These holes look like they cut them out with a multi-tool, no measuring/marking with both eyes closed. We’re talking a big gap all the way around. Here’s what the “gate guy” did by comparison.
IMG_2936.jpeg
Huge freaking difference. I walked over to my neighbor’s house and his all look pretty much perfect too.
IMG_2928.jpeg

What does this group of Jeep Gladiator/NAPA air compressor enthusiasts think? The guy is going to text me in a bit and ask for the other half of his money I’m sure and I don’t know what to say right now. It looks like I did it, with zero experience, on a Friday afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpeg
    IMG_2928.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The good posts have the holes cut for the top and bottom rails by a machine. Instead of them ordering the proper posts pre cut, they used blanks and hand cut them. Personally I would be asking them to use the proper pre- cut posts and replace them. Did this contractor do your neighbors also, but not hand cut them?

N-Smooth

The good posts have the holes cut for the top and bottom rails by a machine. Instead of them ordering the proper posts pre cut, they used blanks and hand cut them. Personally I would be asking them to use the proper pre- cut posts and replace them. Did this contractor do your neighbors also, but not hand cut them?
So I had every intention of using the same contractor that did (3) of my neighbors' fences. Dude does outstanding work and I had him quote me and was ready to pull the trigger and he fell off the face of the earth for like 6 weeks. I eventually got sick of waiting so I went with another referral. The rest of the fence is fine, it's not perfect but again it's just a vinyl fence and it looks good enough.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'd have him come back and fix it. If it were your second cousin's sisters best friends brother who does this as a side gig twice a year and cut you a killer deal, sure, that's a fine job. But that's BS on a new install from a "professional".

N-Smooth

Those are for sure going to be wasp nest collectors.

It looks like junk for sure.
If you paid top dollar, I would expect top dollar work.
If you went with the cheapest guy, this could be expected.
The other guy was top dollar but these guys were still middle-of-the-pack price wise and to me, expensive enough to be better than this. The guy just texted me, like clockwork to say they are done. I sent him a pic and said:
So there are a couple of things on the front section they finished today that really shocked me, quality-wise. This is the "decorative" portion and it's on the front of my house. It's pretty bad.

He replied immediately and said "oh wow that's not right."

So now we wait...

N-Smooth

I'd have him come back and fix it. If it were your second cousin's sisters best friends brother who does this as a side gig twice a year and cut you a killer deal, sure, that's a fine job. But that's BS on a new install from a "professional".
I agree with your comparison 100%. This isn't a cousin that does fences on the weekends to earn some extra cash, it's a company that does it day-in, day-out.

N-Smooth

He texted me and said the guys are going to come back and fix it. I said how? He said they'll replace that post. So I called him and explained that if he was to come out and look at it I expect he'd want them to replace the whole front section (12') and he said that's fine, they'll do whatever it takes to make it right. He was very apologetic and said the guys know better etc. so we'll see how it goes. I hate this stuff but I also think they need to be held to some kind of standard. If I was him I wouldn't want my guys out doing work like this. These pics would be VERY telling in any kind of review setting and turn people away IMO.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
He texted me and said the guys are going to come back and fix it. I said how? He said they'll replace that post. So I called him and explained that if he was to come out and look at it I expect he'd want them to replace the whole front section (12') and he said that's fine, they'll do whatever it takes to make it right. He was very apologetic and said the guys know better etc. so we'll see how it goes. I hate this stuff but I also think they need to be held to some kind of standard. If I was him I wouldn't want my guys out doing work like this. These pics would be VERY telling in any kind of review setting and turn people away IMO.

In turn, I think it’s your obligation to give him a Google review when it’s all set and done that he went above and beyond to fix an issue that you found.
That’s great that he’s willing to own up to it.

N-Smooth

In turn, I think it’s your obligation to give him a Google review when it’s all set and done that he went above and beyond to fix an issue that you found.
That’s great that he’s willing to own up to it.
Agreed.