how old, kids atv

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
So my wife and I have talked about getting my 4 year old son a small kids ATV for Christmas. Is this too young for an ATV? I'm talking one of the little gas motor ones, not a plastic one. He's had the little plastic ones and just drove the guts out of em and they are more work to dive/push around the yard than being any fun.
Anyone have kids that had small ATV? How old were they and how did they do on them?

Caleb

My boy is three, as soon as he goes 30 days without an accident in his pull-up, he gets a motorcycle. I don't think they're ever too young if they can handle it :)

blznnp

My buddy got his daughter at 3 a gas dirt bike with training wheels of course. It was a 50cc I believe. My neighbor just got his kid a 100cc atv. you can adjust how much throttle the kid can give and it also came with a key fob so that you could shut the atv off when you want to. He got it for 500, its a off brand but it looks well put together.

Tonkaman

It's definitely not too early. If your kid is responsible enough to play by the rules then let them play. My daughter turns 3 in December and she'll have a motorcycle by spring

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We started at age 2. Use a rope tied to the back of the quad/bike and walk behind her for a while. you can stop her that way. Then we went to a rope between the kids bike and mine.. Then nothing. My girls are 4, and are riding quite well on dirt bikes. My niece is 3 and can shred her Polaris outlaw 80 very well. The quad is MUCH easier for the kids to ride. (I banned my girls, because it was way to easy for them, and it's all they wanted to ride)
4 is plenty old, but it is very child dependent. Only you will know when she is capable of each progressive step.
The worst thing to do is put her on it, with out a parental over-ride. (like a rope) kids get hurt when they lose control, and can't react, or don't know what to do.

Edit: I would also go for a quality machine, as opposed to a knock off. I believe safety and reliability are not found in cheapo machines.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I personally don't like quads for little kids. I bought a Kawasaki 50 quad for my son when he was 4. He rolled it several times. The problem is with a quad, all they have to do is push the throttle and it goes, as fast as it can if they don't let off. Then if they turn too fast or take a side hill they flip a vehicle that weighs far more than they do. With a motorcycle They have to learn line choice and how to read terrain before they can go 30mph. Then if they do tip it isn't as dangerous. We moved my son to a pw 50 and he did awesome. Just my opinion.

I also agree with buying a quality bike. The Chinese crap is half the price and only last one season, thren its resale value is almost zero.

Caleb

I'll echo what's been said about buying a quality bike vs. a knock-off. Even buying a used quality machine is a better option than a brand new knock-off. IMO :D

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
This is awesome advice guys thanks. I'll make sure to look for a higher quality machine. At first I was just thinking of going cheap, but I would like to make sure it lasts long enough that both kids can use it as they grow up. Any specific model that offer the remote shut off?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not sure on the remote shutoff. I would look at a kymco if you're going with a quad. My Kawasaki actually had a kymco badge on the frame. They didn't even try to hide it. The kymco version was hundreds cheaper. You can get parts at powerhouse in PG for then as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free