How strong is a HP 60 in the rear?

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Just curious if any of you guys have broken a HP 60 in the rear. I'm more concerned with the R&P and not the shafts. I think SukaB is runnin' a RC60 in the rear...anyone else? Do you think it would hold up to a 38-40" tire? It would prob be in a lighter vehicle behind a mild V8 or a spunky 6. I know it's pretty hard to break 1.5" alloy shafts, but I've heard mixed feedback on running the coast side of a 60 ring. I'm assuming SF vs. FF won't have an impact on the R&P durability. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I think the numbers were around 20% weaker than a standard cut if ran as a rear axle... I can't really remember. I don't think you will have any problems.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Yep, that is what Brandon is running, as well as most comp guys. The Rev 60 really has not been a problem in the rear, even under extreme abuse. The 60 r/p is strong enough the 20% lost by running on the coast side of the gear does not seem to be an issue. I would be a little afraid of extreme low gears in the 5.38 and lower range, as the pinion gets very small. (JMHO)
Marc

PS I run a low pinion 9" in the rear with 38's. If it is good enough for a topfuel dragster, it works for me. (never run a rev 9" with the crap 8.8rev r/p)