how to add mounts to my truck shell?

sixstringsteve

I'd like to mount some hooks a basic tie-off points to top of my truck shell. I'd like to be able to tie a tarp to it for an overhang and stuff like that. But I don't know how to mount things to the fiberglass shell and keep it waterproof.

Do I just drill through it and put a ton of silocone all over the holes so it doesn't leak? Any products out there that make this easier?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would probably drill though it and the fiber glass around it on the outside and the inside the best you can and paint it to match. looks great and waterproof. the silicone would probably work but wouldnt look as good IMO

sixstringsteve

I was thinking of adding a few of these to the top (and inside for that matter).
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/VersaTieTrackKits

129_0801_03_z%252Btrailer_tie_down_tips%252Bversatie_track_kit.jpg

Anyone know where to get this stuff locally? Metalmart used to have it, but now they don't.

Last edited:

rdneckride

Steve,

From what I remmebr you drill the holes. Then put silicone in the hole with a rubber membrane over. The membrade helps seal from water plus will make sure the metal strips do not rub/vibrate weak points in the fiberglass. I like what you are looking at using if possible I would use the same holes to mount the inside strips if possible. The thinking there is the strips will distribute the strains they are going to be subjected to.

Just my $.02

sixstringsteve

I guess if toilet tanks seal with rubber gaskets, then my truck shell should have no problem.

Now I'm thinking of doing something like these. They are rated for 400 lbs vertical pull. I'll sandwich the shell between two of these so I'll have 4 on the outside, and 4 on the inside, with rubber gaskets and silicone to seal it all up.

rope%2520ring.jpg

My shell wasn't meant to handle weight anyway, so these rings should suffice for small things (firewood bundles, tarps, garbage, clothes line, etc). They're rated at 400 lbs.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am thinking I will build a rack that goes on the outside of my shell to tie stuff to. I need a place for my RTT and my shell wont handle the weight. I might mount it above the cab. I am still deciding. I think I like the rack over the shell idea best. Kind of like a lumber rack, but more EXPO:cody: approved.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I like this last idea, I've been interested in doing the same thing after sleeping in the back of my runner, I had to push all my stuff to the sides or the passenger seat, which wasn't much but it was noticeable that it would be convenient to do.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I am thinking I will build a rack that goes on the outside of my shell to tie stuff to. I need a place for my RTT and my shell wont handle the weight. I might mount it above the cab. I am still deciding. I think I like the rack over the shell idea best. Kind of like a lumber rack, but more EXPO:cody: approved.

The exo-rack sounds the smartest to me. I'm not a big fan of fiberglass and strength though (maybe that's why I'm not a boat guy?). I'd probably check out some marine places as I'm sure there are gadgets to mount wakeboard towers or similar to boats. That'd be ideal for a shell type situation if the fiberglass shell material is thick enough to handle things?

Cascadia

Undecided
While were on the topic of shells I have a couple questions. I just got a century shell for my truck. Are they rated for much weight at all. Sounds like you're saying they're not Davy. I also want to be able to mount my rtt to the shell. If not how can it be done without having an Eco over it, which I don't want to do, and won't.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I also plan to hang stuff from the inside of my shell, like wet clothing, or backpacks, or using it to keep a sleeping bag/pillow out of the way.

sixstringsteve

I picked up some of these today @ metalmart.

IMAG0144.jpg

I think they should work nicely. I'm trying to decide if a bicycle tube or silicone would work best to seal the holes.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

They don't have a whole lot left (maybe 20). And I'm not sure if they're going to continue to stock them or not. I assume they won't, since they got rid of the long tracks and this is all that's left over.