How to fight the land use battle?

great scott

My hope with this thread is to point out ways to properly get our point across. I know in the past I have made mistakes because I had only limited knowledge of what to do. I am by no means claiming to be an expert now. Simply, if I can save some of you all from the mistakes I have made and in return learn how to avoid future issues.
So please post things you have done that worked or did not work.

great scott

One of my big mistakes has been not getting a receipt for data submitted to the BLM. I did not know to do so. Now I am having a hard time coming up with prof. What is the best way to get a receipt? We are now submitting letters to the BLM to confirm meetings/discussions. Will that work?

Letters only seem to go so far but they do help. I think that listing key points for us to use keeps us all on the same page and make a more united front.

One of the things that really got some attention here in Price was making our own survey. We then had every one we could feel one out, and submit it to the BLM. I have been told that also was tossed out because it was to much like a form letter, but it did make a lot of noise:-\.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Scott,

The best way to get a "receipt" is to write a letter to BLM (I always certify important correspondence to them) and in the letter explain what you have given them or discussed with them, then ask for their confirmation of receipt or their understanding of the conversation. The letter they will return to you can act as a receipt and certainly creates a paper trail. We (USA-ALL) and BRC are always encouraging people to do this but they rarely do. Another method for ensuring receipt is to have multiple sources submit your data USA-ALL and BRC share comments and other communications to BLM for this exact reason. I already mentioned sending info via certified mail, this won't prove exactly what you sent, but it helps and I believe the agency also treats the information more seriously because they can tell you care enough to certify the letter.

All of these things I just explained, the questions you have, and the knowledge you have are all reasons USA-ALL will be holding a series of meetings to bring clubs and associations together on a regular basis. We need to support each other more to prevent this stuff from happening.

(not to hijack your thread, but did you ever get with Rex or Dave? I haven't heard if you want us to schedule a mtg with Director Sierra or not. Let me know. Call me with your cell number I only have your home.)

great scott

Scott,

The best way to get a "receipt" is to write a letter to BLM (I always certify important correspondence to them) and in the letter explain what you have given them or discussed with them, then ask for their confirmation of receipt or their understanding of the conversation. The letter they will return to you can act as a receipt and certainly creates a paper trail. We (USA-ALL) and BRC are always encouraging people to do this but they rarely do. Another method for ensuring receipt is to have multiple sources submit your data USA-ALL and BRC share comments and other communications to BLM for this exact reason. I already mentioned sending info via certified mail, this won't prove exactly what you sent, but it helps and I believe the agency also treats the information more seriously because they can tell you care enough to certify the letter.

All of these things I just explained, the questions you have, and the knowledge you have are all reasons USA-ALL will be holding a series of meetings to bring clubs and associations together on a regular basis. We need to support each other more to prevent this stuff from happening.

(not to hijack your thread, but did you ever get with Rex or Dave? I haven't heard if you want us to schedule a mtg with Director Sierra or not. Let me know. Call me with your cell number I only have your home.)

Thanks Mike, you and thus USA-ALL have been a big part of filling in the blanks for me. As for the meeting, yes I do want it. I have sent you 2 emails to the address listed here under your public profile. You must not have got them? I will send ya a pm.

ID Bronco

Where to start? Begin early in the process! This is one of the most important parts. Also, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Have info for them often enough so they know who you are but don't just bother them. Have info for them each time.

I will add more as time allows.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Scott, next time you get the opportunity to talk to Alan, ask him about the time a person in the Price Field office told him "well I have finally decided that you are not going to go away, so I may as well work with you. This was in response to YEARS of being there and pushing for access rights.