How's Moab in the winter

spiderman

Amish dude
I'm thinking of taking a trip to moab around the 20 of this month. I know it's cold, but what about snow? Particularly on trails like Steel Bender, Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider Mesa, and Fins and Things.

I know some other people are going at the same time, just wondering how the snow is, in general.

4runnin

People should only go to Moab during Jeep Safari. It's the only time to go.

Jeep safari is a zoo if you are interested in doing a bunch of wheeling jeep safari is not the time to do it.

As far as the weather goes the last couple of days have been around 50 degrees and sunny at midday. The mornings have been in the teens so if your heading out early you will want a heater. It only snows around 4 or 5 times a winter down here and it doesn't stick around for very long. Trails such as Pritchett have spots that only see the sun for a few hours a day and keep snow and ice around for a while. Hells revenge and fins and things are out in the open so unless it snows that day or the day before you should be fine.

Corban_White

I believe mbryson's comment was a bit on the sarcastic side. Something along the lines of "if everyone goes that week only then there will be no one on the trails when I go." ;) :D:D

spiderman

Amish dude
Thanks for the replies. I've been to moab during the safari once, and that's probably the last time I do that. I don't like waiting at every obstacle for some dumba$$ to try to show off for the crowds, disregarding other people's safety. Don't mind other people on the trail, but there were a ton of people looking to get hurt. Every other time, it's been in May, June, or October, so the weather's usually pretty good when I go.

I've been watching the weather down there... it's supposed to rain/snow next week, but if the snow clears up pretty fast on the open trails (like what I plan on running), then unless it snows again before I go, it sounds like I'll be good to go.:)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've been to EJS just about every year for the last decade, and I rarely see anyone else on the trail. I spent 3 days on the trail last year, and I think I only ran into maybe 4 other vehicles total.

You just need to spend time on the trails that you don't typically get a chance to spend time on. I moved 50 feet in 3 hours on pritchett years ago, and that was the last time I went to any of the popular trails during EJS.

As for Moab, just pick your trials depending upon the weather. If there isnt' much snow on the ground the sky is the limit. If there is, then stay away from trails that you can slide down some ice and off a cliff.

I'd really like to do the White Rim this winter.......who's with me?

spiderman

Amish dude
I've been to EJS just about every year for the last decade, and I rarely see anyone else on the trail. I spent 3 days on the trail last year, and I think I only ran into maybe 4 other vehicles total.

You just need to spend time on the trails that you don't typically get a chance to spend time on. I moved 50 feet in 3 hours on pritchett years ago, and that was the last time I went to any of the popular trails during EJS.

As for Moab, just pick your trials depending upon the weather. If there isnt' much snow on the ground the sky is the limit. If there is, then stay away from trails that you can slide down some ice and off a cliff.

I'd really like to do the White Rim this winter.......who's with me?

Yeah, thinking back (when I'm in a better mood), it wasn't too bad. Most of the trails were actually pretty clear. Even on Poison Spider it wasn't too bad. Come to think of it, most of it was potato salad hill. Lots of beer and wheeling and WAY too many people when I was there. Not a place I'd take my kids to during EJS. I think I saw 2 or 3 windows broken by flying rocks when I was there.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
When I had my CJ I used to love Moab in the "off season" Just keep an eye out for snow and ice. I had a real pucker factor surprise on a slickrock downhill section once that had more ice than I expected!!!

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
When I had my CJ I used to love Moab in the "off season" Just keep an eye out for snow and ice. I had a real pucker factor surprise on a slickrock downhill section once that had more ice than I expected!!!

That was a fun trip, I think that happened on seven mile rim.

4runnin

Holy crap I jinxed myself! After I say how moabs winters are pretty mild and snow is not really a problem, the very next week we got 10 inches of snow and this last week has averaged -5 in the mornings and not getting out of the teens in the daytime. AAAAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps: don't plan on wheeling down here for a while.:mad:

spiderman

Amish dude
Holy crap I jinxed myself! After I say how moabs winters are pretty mild and snow is not really a problem, the very next week we got 10 inches of snow and this last week has averaged -5 in the mornings and not getting out of the teens in the daytime. AAAAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

I HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps: don't plan on wheeling down here for a while.:mad:

Are you talking about moab getting that snow? I know up north got some, but if Moab got that, holly crap! It should warm up later on to a sizzlin 42!

Thursty

Are you talking about moab getting that snow? I know up north got some, but if Moab got that, holly crap! It should warm up later on to a sizzlin 42!

He's talking about Moab. I have about 6 inches of snow in my front yard and a broken water pipe to prove it. D*mn cold. Starting to warm up though. Oh, and the plumber is on his way to fix the pipe. :)