Hulse-ish RC Crawler

RockChucker

@jsudar thread made me remember about this section and I figured I could make a post…

When I was down in St George over new years my buddy had a lightly modified Capra on portals that I drove that was pretty sweet. It had front dig, rear steer and was way more capable than the wraith I’ve had for like a decade. He also had a wraith of some sort with low power motor that was bulletproof that his kids were driving around while we were hiking. They loved hiking because of it. And my daughter was in love with it too. So I decided I need to get my wraith fixed for the kiddo to drive and I’ll build a portal car with rear steer. Seemed like a fun project to tinker with. I’ve always thought the Hulse trail chassis is good looking, so I looked at some images. Kinda scaled things so that a 5.25” tall tire was roughly scaled and started drawing. The bulk of the chassis is drawn. Just need to tie it into the sub frame of the transmission. I picked up some cheap aluminum Capra axles off AliExpress. Along with some brass bits for the front axle. Strangely they were way cheaper than buying stock plastic axles and building them. They seem decent? 🤷‍♂️
I have a vanquish transmission that has front dig, rear dig and a 6% or 21% overdrive option for the front output. Should be nifty if I can figure out the electronics with rear steer and needing 2 3 position toggle switches.

This may be a huge fail but I’m planning on getting 3/16”x.035 wall aluminum tubing and “soldering” it together with low temp aluminum rod. If that doesn’t work I’ll probably just use some brake line and braze it.

No specific timeline on this. Just when I have free time. Maybe before @N-Smooth finishes his 100 year promod build. I’ll get the wraith running for the kiddo though pronto. Should make hiking around and stuff as it gets warmer a good time.

IMG_6197.png
Image.jpeg
IMG_6116.jpeg

jsudar

Baby crawlers FTW!!
I’m glad this place is alive again!

Building one from aluminum has crossed my mind… but after seeing the damage my kids have done to my brake line tube chassis, I don’t know if aluminum tubing would be strong enough. It certainly won’t have the dent resistance at .035 wall. I might consider solid rod. It would still be lightweight and unique and you won’t have kinking issues if you do any bends. I’m curious though, so give it a shot— for science.

RockChucker

Baby crawlers FTW!!
I’m glad this place is alive again!

Building one from aluminum has crossed my mind… but after seeing the damage my kids have done to my brake line tube chassis, I don’t know if aluminum tubing would be strong enough. It certainly won’t have the dent resistance at .035 wall. I might consider solid rod. It would still be lightweight and unique and you won’t have kinking issues if you do any bends. I’m curious though, so give it a shot— for science.
Yeah I’ve wondered about the dent resistance or even wearing through the tube dragging on rocks. I do plan on figuring weights. If solid aluminum isn’t that far different from a plastic chassis….maybe just go that way. I also wonder if the heat required to melt the aluminum solder will melt that thickness tube

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I also wonder if the heat required to melt the aluminum solder will melt that thickness tube
If what you're going to use is anything like the "Low Temperature Aluminum Welding Rods" that got my attention at Harbor Freight, yes. I had a terrible time trying to solder 1/8" strap, I imagine thinwall tube will be worse.