Hunt's Debadged RME TJ

Owners Name & City- Hunt, Carmel , NY

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Jeep, TJ 1997

Engine- 2003 5.3L LM7 from a truck, LS1 Oil Pan, ECU re-flashed for 325 HP and 375 Ft lbs of torque,
Sanderson Headers with 2.5” collectors and 3” exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Aluminum radiator with 2 speed Taurus electric fan,

Transmission- TH 350 (recently rebuilt and resealed!) with full manual valve body & engine brake, Summit Racing 12” 2000 RPM stall converter, Art Carr shifter, Spal transmission cool, Advanced Adaptors, deep extra capacity aluminum transmission pan,

T-Case- Advanced AdaptorsAtlas II with 4.3 to 1 ratio, 32 spline outputs front and rear, Roark Fab Atlas mount

Axles- Rear- Dana 60 with 40 spline Mark Williams 1.75” shafts, 5.13 gears, spool and disc brakes, Tera HD diff. cover, Width=62”, 1.5” spacers at both wheels, TeraFlex axle bridge truss,
Front- Tera CRD60, Dodge Kingpin Knuckles with chromo shafts, 5.13 gears, ARB locker, 35 spline outers(not chromo) and Warn Premium hubs, crane diff cover, Width=64”, Full hydraulic steering with single-ended ram, PCS pump and Appleton power steering cooler/reservoir/filter, 83” wide from the outside of the tire to the outside of the tire,

Suspension- TeraFlex longarm LCG for an Unlimited Wrangler, Rear coil buckets have been moved back 11”, wheel base is 104”, 3” of suspension lift, 1” body lift under the tub but not under the radiator shell, TeraFlex Dual Rate S/T swaybar, BTF coil mounting kit, Custom from 3 link with the upper link built using lower components, TeraFlex Belly-Up 1/4” t-case skid plate,

Wheels and Tires- 17”x9” Cragar Soft 8 steel black wheels, 5 total, 3” back spacing, 6 on 5.5 lug pattern, Staun internal beadlocks @ 30 psi, 40x13.5x17 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers DOT compound running 6 psi rear and 8 psi in the front,

Winch- Warn M8000

Body Modifications and Protection- BTF Crusher Corner Comp Cut rear quarter panels with LED rear brake lights, BTF Rocker Protection, Highline hood, Ben Hank’s Racing custom front fender raised for more tire clearance, Custom Ben Hank’s Racing roll cage tied to the frame in 6 places, BTF front bumper with d-rings, BTF winch plate,

Favorite Trails- Hell’s Revenge and Hell’s Gate Moab, UT

Other-Summit Machine aluminum fairlead (I need to get a synthetic rope or switch to a roller fairlead), Orbial battery, Corbeau Ultra SS seats tied to the roll cage, RCI seat harnesses, Custom 15 gallon fuel cell behind the rear seat built by Ben at Alliance Metal Works in SLC with a Napa P5000 pump, Bestop Super Top with soft doors, Bestop Bikini Top, AutoMeter white face Hotrod style gauges,

Attachments

• 100_0064 (Large).JPG
    100_0064 (Large).JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 385
  • 100_0090 (Large).JPG
    100_0090 (Large).JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_0057 (Large).JPG
    100_0057 (Large).JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

Hunt

To-Do List-
-Limit straps?
-Line-X the interior of the tub
-Install A/C compressor, condenser, lines, etc- bracket, pulley/tensioner and hardware have arrived

-Eliminate the U-joint straps on the differential and install U-bolts
-Build patch panel for tail gate

Completed-
-Build spare tire/wheel- In process
One 17”x9” Stuan beadlock, Arrived
One Cragar wheel- Arrived, drilled for Stuan, welded up old valve stem hole, drilled new valve stem hole behind the wheel center
-Install Autometer Tach Adapter
-Wilwood proportioning valve
-Poly Performance CNC Cutting Brakes ¾” bore 2 in 2 out blue handle,
-Jamar Line Lock for use as a parking brake,
-Install Autometer Tach Adapter
-Hook up Speedometer
-Hook up Tachometer
-Moved the PCM clamp a few inches to accommodate the new master cylinder
-Dodge 1 ton Master Cylinder upgrade
-Change differential fluids
-Install e-rail tie downs
-Remove rear seat
-Brace rear upper 4link frame supports
-Engine and tranny skid plate
-New tranny support
-Air Bumps
-Weld in the rest of the 5 point harness brackets
-Radiator hoop and stinger
-Wire in a relay for the electric fans
-Drill out bolt on radiator shell for the fender mount
-Install fuel cell vent
-Cap tranny vent
-Cap t-case vent
-Find a radiator overflow tank cap
-Fix seal between transmission and t-case adaptor
-Install metric hood bolts
-Trim steering cooler fins
-Install shorter steering bolts and flip over the head so the threads are up
-Several Spider Trax tip over valves for the tranny, t-case, and fuel cell,- Installed
-Several small K&N air filters from Summit Racing to go with the tip over valves- Installed
-Relay for the electric fan- Installed

Parts Ordered-

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sounds like you've already got a good start on completing the little things left--and adding the little nice touches that usually happen over time. :cool: (the cutting brakes and air bumps are what I'm referring to...)

One small correction--the Bellyup skidplate is actually 1/4" thick, you have it listed as 3/16". :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's a good looking rig you got there Hunt! ;) Sounds like you're making quick progress with the little things that I hadn't done yet. I'd love to see you get the air bumps on, that will make that rig handle the big bumps and high-speed stuff so much better.

Hunt

please don't put a stinger on that beautiful rig

I want to put on something to keep the radiator form harm in the event of a roll over or flop. Plus the terrain is much different out here. Lots of tight trails the big trees. I was thinking something like the attached photos. They are from Trent Fab and BTF.

Attachments

• Priscilla%20075[1].jpg
    Priscilla%20075[1].jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_1140[1].jpg
    DSC_1140[1].jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 198

LT.

I like the look of those front bumpers! Keep up the good work and keep changing things as you see fit. Every kind of terrain dictates different kinds of modifications. Looks good and keep the updates coming.

LT.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've been meaning to ask you-- being from Carmel, are you going to be hitting Rausch Creek a bunch??? :D Not much wheeling in that immediate area unless things have changed since my time in NY. :(

Hunt

I like the look of those front bumpers! Keep up the good work and keep changing things as you see fit. Every kind of terrain dictates different kinds of modifications. Looks good and keep the updates coming.

LT.

Thanks LT.

I've been meaning to ask you-- being from Carmel, are you going to be hitting Rausch Creek a bunch??? :D Not much wheeling in that immediate area unless things have changed since my time in NY. :(

Since Paragon closed Rausch Creek is our regular play ground. We are down there pretty often as part of the SIRA Club. Pirate just started a Northeast thread section and a lot of other areas have been posted. Most of them are in the northwest of up state NY. I’m basically on the Connecticut boarder.

Updates: Parts are trickling in.
I got some really bling K&N filters from Summit. They have a small threaded stud on the top so I will make a bracket/splash guard for the transmission and transfer case vents. I also installed one on the fuel cell vent. I am still waiting for the tip over valves from Spider Trax.
The Dodge master cylinder does not fit with the computer in its current position. I have to figure out if I want to move the computer bracket closer to the radiator shell or just leave everything as is. It will be quite an under taking to move that very cool clamp a few inches just to fit a bigger master cylinder.
The Cragar wheel arrived. I have to weld up the valve stem and move it behind the center section and away from harm. I also go another Stuan. Now I just need to find a 40” tire for a spare. Those are just lying around everywhere so that shouldn’t be to hard!
I finally found a radiator overflow tank cap. What a hassle that was. Non of the parts houses could get one. Had to go to the stealership for one.
This evening’s plans are to wire up the fan relay and finish going doing a hardware tightness check on everything.

Attachments

• Jeep 13 Feb 09 014.jpg
    Jeep 13 Feb 09 014.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Jeep 13 Feb 09 015.jpg
    Jeep 13 Feb 09 015.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Jeep 13 Feb 09 019.jpg
    Jeep 13 Feb 09 019.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 70

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Right on man! Rausch Creek is a good time. :D Too bad the Catskills aren't open, there would be some good trails in there. I've been to Carmel, and Brewster, that whole area, a bunch of times. It's nice.

Hunt

This weekend I continued to peck away at my to-do list.

I picked up a set of windshield wiper arms and blades and got them installed. Not real high on the technical side by pretty high on the convenience side.

Sorry Greg but the turbo timer had to go. The electric fans were hard wired into the engine harness and when I shut off the engine the momentum form the electric fans spinning would turn the electric motors into generators and feed power back through the electrical harness. The engine would continue to spit and sputter until the fans stopped. It kind of sounded like a turbo timer spinning down. I wired in an electric fan relay for the radiator and transmission cooler fans. All the connections are soldered and shrink wrapped. I used a couple of the GM weather pack seals (essentially weather proof factory connectors) at the fans so if I have to do any maintenance in the future that requires removal of either fan I can simply unplug the electrical.

I test fitted the extra wheel that came in the other day. Then I drilled the holes to relocate the tire valve stem and Staun valve stem using the measurements for the other wheels. I was surprised how tough the steel wheel was. I center punched the holes and it took some effort to drill the holes starting with a small bit and working my way up to the correct sizes.

I drilled out the broken bolt in the radiator shell and installed a new one.

I also drilled out the rivets left from the Rocky Mountain Extreme sign that was below the tailgate. I am going to cut a 3/16” plate to cover that area. The measurements were 36.25” by 3.5”. I’ll counter sink the bolt holes just like the rest of the armor. There were two holes in the comp corners that where never drilled so I went ahead and drilled those while I was punching holes in the Jeep. I am going to have to call up Blue Torch Fab and see if they can send me a bunch of the 5/16” stainless steel Allen head machine bolts they use with all their panels.

I was in Home Depot looking for some replacement hardware and came across some nice plugs for the floor board. They are chrome and I got a lousy picture of them but I think they will go the trick for now. They should keep most of the junk form coming up through the holes and when I do get some water in the tube they will pop right out to let it drain.

The tip over valves came in from Spider Trax. Transmission, transfer case and fuel cell vents each got one.

The order from Poly Performance with my cutting brake and parking brake has not come in yet.

I decided to leave the front lower heim joints as is. It will be easier in the long run to just pull the Allen head plug out and install a grease zurk when I need to grease the joints. Rather than flip the joints and fight with a needle fitting on the grease gun. I THINK I got all everything greased on the Jeep. I stopped counting at 18 zurks.

A few more maintenance items got done. Changed the engine oil (have to use a NAPA Gold 0760 or filter for a '06 Corvette and 7 quarts of 5W30), checking tire and bead lock pressures and checked a lot of bolts for tightness. I didn’t get the differential fluids changed this weekend like I wanted to. I will not get it done before my run on the 21-22 because I am traveling for work the rest of the week.

The Bestop Super Top looks great on the Jeep. All the frame work fits around the cage. I went with tinted rear windows. The two rear sides have not come in yet.

Attachments

• Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 001.jpg
    Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 001.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 67
  • Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 002.jpg
    Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 002.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 015.jpg
    Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 015.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 010.jpg
    Jeep transmission 16 Feb 09 010.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Hunt

Today I ordered a dozen bolts form Blue Torch Fab to replace some missing/uninstalled hardware for the body armor. I am going to build a few more panels and will need the matching hardware. Also ordered a bracket, pulley/tensioner, and the 9 bolts required to mount up the A/C compressor. One of these days I will make it back to AZ and that air conditioning will come in handy.

LT.

This is great! I think that it is cool that you are working to make the jeep yours and change a few things that you thought were in need of addressing. PERFECT! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

LT.

Bart

Love what you're doing with the rig. BTW, where did you get those little filters for the vent lines? I've been looking for some.

Hunt

Love what you're doing with the rig. BTW, where did you get those little filters for the vent lines? I've been looking for some.

I found the filter part numbers on K&N's web page http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm. Then just did a search on Summit Racing's site http://www.summitracing.com/ to order them. 3 days later I had exaclty what I wanted. I hope that helps.

If anyone has any other questions please let me know.

Thanks for the support LT.

Hunt

We spent the weekend at Rausch Creek, PA. The temperatures where in the high 20’s and low 30’s. Saturday I ran around with a group for the Maryland Creepers. We ran mostly blues and a few black. Myself and a orange YJ buggy split off and got down in the “rock garden”. Sunday we where with the Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance. That morning we got snowed on, making everything very slick. We ran trails 4, 5, 6, 16, “O” and Yellow Jacket I think. Blacks and Reds all day.

Attachments

• Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 015 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 015 reduced.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 022 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 022 reduced.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 025 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 025 reduced.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 028 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 028 reduced.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 034 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 034 reduced.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 042 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 042 reduced.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 051 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 051 reduced.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 064 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 064 reduced.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 075 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 075 reduced.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 076 reduced.jpg
    Rausch Creek, PA 21-22 Feb 09 076 reduced.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 93

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like a great time Clayton! How'd the Jeep built for CO/UT work out on the East Coast? The terrain looks quite different from the trails we have out here.

Hunt

My first impressions of the Jeep on the East coast are very good. People are amazed at how low it is. The low COG has its pluses and minus. Until I get the skid plate for the engine done I have to be very careful dropping off of stuff. We have lots of rocks that stick up pretty high. I didn’t get into the belly pan at all this trip. I did get the control arms a few times. The Maxxis tires don’t seem to like the cold. They got a little hard and slick but if I would spin them a little and put just a touch of heat in them they would grab and launch. I’m pretty sure I wrecked the rear shocks. That is being remedied next week with air bumps. I am looking into changing the upper shock mounts on the rear so that I can go to a longer shock. I’ll keep you updated. I’m not sure what I am going to do with that. Overall the Jeep did great and stayed very stable. I got my heart racing a few times went I slid off of stuff. The Jeep would slide off them come to a very abrupt stop and that’s when it felt tippy. I don’t think we were ever even close to going over but I just have to learn the Jeep